You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-02 00:46:30

Rewired87

Ubuntu Software Center on Arch Linux

I figured Applications would be the best spot section for this, sorry if I'm wrong!
I am currently in the process of making a few custom Linux distros for some friends, and I'm using Arch Linux as a base because it is the easiest to configure and customize quickly. The only problem is, my friends aren't command-line commandos like me, and would probably have problems using the AUR and pacman package system, and would certainly like the software center's interface much better.
My question is, is there a way to get the Ubuntu Software Center on an Arch-based system? If so, how would I go about doing this?
Thanks very much in advance for help.

We hope as a new society rises from the ashes that you will forge a better world. A world that values the free people, a world where greed is not encouraged, a world that belongs to us again, a world changed forever.  ~Mr. Robot

#2 2015-12-02 01:26:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Ubuntu Software Center on Arch Linux

Rewired87 wrote:

The only problem is, my friends aren't command-line commandos like me, and would probably have problems using the AUR and pacman package system

Then why on earth would you install archlinux for them?!  Don't.  Just don't.

It will end up being a disservice to them, and almost certainly to this community as they will come here looking for help with a system they don't understand and shouldn't be using.

(Apps & DEs does not seem like the right place, so this will likely be moved when the mod/admin team decide what to do with this)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-12-02 01:34:06

Rewired87

Trilby wrote:

Then why on earth would you install archlinux for them?!  Don't.  Just don't.

It will end up being a disservice to them, and almost certainly to this community as they will come here looking for help with a system they don't understand and shouldn't be using.

(Apps & DEs does not seem like the right place, so this will likely be moved when the mod/admin team decide what to do with this)

Okay maybe patching another distro that's on the lighter end of things is a better option (or modifying Arch a LOT).
And sorry, this is my first post and Apps &DEs was the closest thing because this was an application issue.
Thanks for the advice!

We hope as a new society rises from the ashes that you will forge a better world. A world that values the free people, a world where greed is not encouraged, a world that belongs to us again, a world changed forever.  ~Mr. Robot

#4 2015-12-02 01:35:53

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I agree that this is a bad idea. Your choice of Arch in this situation is more about your own comfort and not about how to best serve your friends. If they become completely dependent on you to manage a custom derivative distro then everyone will be disappointed. If you want something like Ubuntu Software Center, help them install Ubuntu.

Creating your own derivative may be a fun learning experience, but passing it off to your friends in this situation would indeed be a disservice, especially if you are just trying to emulate something that already exists and has far more support (official & community) than you could ever possibly provide.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2015-12-02 01:40:34

Rewired87

Xyne wrote:

Creating your own derivative may be a fun learning experience, but passing it off to your friends in this situation would indeed be a disservice, especially if you are just trying to emulate something that already exists and has far more support (official & community) than you could ever possibly provide.

I may just go with making a custom theme for them instead for Ubuntu or something like that. All the customization with the user friendliness and comfort of an out-of-the-box distro.

#6 2015-12-02 01:42:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That sounds like a much better way to go.  I don't know much about the *buntus, but I think Xubuntu is still around isn't it?  XFCE is amazingly customizable yet still very "user-friendly"

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2015-12-02 01:46:32

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Rewired87 wrote:

I may just go with making a custom theme for them instead for Ubuntu or something like that. All the customization with the user friendliness and comfort of an out-of-the-box distro.

That seems much more feasible and maintainable. You could even distribute your custom theme to the rest of the community (e.g. via gnome-look).

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#8 2015-12-02 04:53:18

ids1024
Website

Like everyone else said, Arch may not be best in this case.

But as for the original question, there are some (completely unofficial) GUIs for Pacman. I don't know if any are good, and again someone who can't handle a command line really shouldn't use Arch.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … front-ends

"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it."—Linus Torvalds
s/ftp/git/

https://iandouglasscott.com | https://github.org/ids1024 | https://keybase.io/ids1024

Board footer