You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-04 16:27:06

oklahoment

(Strangely fixed) Problem With Laptop Touchpad

First off, I apologize if this is not a good place for this question, if I would do better posting under a different forum please let me know!
I am running arch on my dell inspiron 1525 and after my latest upgrade/update my laptop mouse jumps at random when I first touch it.
It still works fine when I am using it to move around the screen and click on things but when I first touch it to move it, it will jump at random to a different place on my screen. It isn't totally unusable but is a little annoying when I have to click on multiple things in a row. Also, I have unclutter installed so that it disappears after a few seconds because, for the most part, I don't use my mouse.

Last edited by oklahoment (2015-12-09 15:08:46)

#2 2015-12-09 15:08:11

oklahoment

Re: (Strangely fixed) Problem With Laptop Touchpad

Okay, I have had the STRANGEST experience with this touchpad thing and I wanted to come here and let those of you who actually click on this to know how the problem ended up resolved. So as I said originally my mouse cursor was jumping around at random when I first touched it, but then working as normal when I would move it around. So after a few days of dealing with this problem I noticed that it was NOT actually moving at random but it would jump to the part of the screen relative to where on the touchpad I would touch, for example, if I touched the top right corner of the touchpad my mouse cursor would appear at the top right corner of my screen. If I touched in the middle it would appear in the middle. I have never seen a laptop touchpad do this, and I am POSITIVE I did not set it to do this, and no matter how much I tweaked my mouse settings I couldn't get it to go back. So, thinking it was a lost cause and that I would have to relearn to use the mouse efficiently I left my laptop on my counter and went out to get a burrito. When I got back my cat B-Mo was laying on my laptop and she had managed to back out of my desktop environment to a pure terminal and the whole screen was covered in W's, as soon as I touched a key my laptop automatically restarted itself and when it rebooted (mind you, I have rebooted many times while trying to fix this issue) my mouse was working perfectly fine again.... I have NO idea what my cat did but my problem is fixed (:

tl;dr
My cat fixed my laptop mouse.

#3 2015-12-09 15:19:30

ewaller
Administrator

Re: (Strangely fixed) Problem With Laptop Touchpad

The only problem here is your perception that you own the cat.  It is a cat.  It owns you.  tongue

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer