You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-11 00:41:45

HaloSlayer255

VLC Xinerama Script Help Needed, Thank you

Hello all,

I created a script with assistence from olive on this forum; https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1574902
In the script I use vlc and a few of the command-line options to watch dvds or blu-ray media.
The part I am still wondering about is using something like xinerama to force vlc to start on the second display.

As per https://www.videolan.org/doc/vlc-user-g … /ch02.html

xvideo
default: enabled
For GNU/Linux only
It requires an xvideo compliant graphic card (it is the case for nearly all modern cards). It uses hardware acceleration for YUV transformation and rescaling.
Options:
--xvideo-display <string> : X11 display name to use
--xvideo-adaptor <integer> : xvideo adaptor number
--xvideo-altfullscreen, --no-xvideo-altfullscreen : use alternate fullscreen mode to bypass window managers (default disabled)
--xvideo-shm, --no-xvideo-shm : use x11 shared memory (default enabled)
--xvideo-xineramascreen <integer> : choose the screen to be used for fullscreen mode, when working with xinerama
--xvideo-chroma <string> : XVimage chroma format

I currently use this option: vlc --xvideo-xineramascreen=1 to test but it doesn't work. VLC returns the following:

vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--xvideo-xineramascreen=1'

Does anyone know the correct syntax to implement this option? Have you used this option in the past. I tried using mplayer and it indeed starts on the second display but the audio is always out of sync.

Thanks in advance,
HaloSlayer255

Last edited by HaloSlayer255 (2015-12-11 00:42:27)

#2 2015-12-11 08:43:59

moetunes

Re: VLC Xinerama Script Help Needed, Thank you

My first thought on seeing that error is that the vlc binary that arch provides isn't built with xinerama enabled.
The thought I was having before that is it'll probably be easier to have the window manager position vlc where you want it. You might need a different window manager if your current one won't let you do that.

edit : I can't find a vlc package - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged=
If it's from the aur you can edit the configure options in the PKGBUILD.

Last edited by moetunes (2015-12-11 09:03:36)

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2015-12-11 20:45:56

HaloSlayer255

Re: VLC Xinerama Script Help Needed, Thank you

Hello moetunes,

I currently use the Cinnamon Desktop Environment with no window manager. I typically use the normal vlc package, but decided I'd use the vlc-nightly to test and upon compiling it found Xinerama and vlc reported that it had enabled support for it in that package. Is there anything else I might be able to try regarding the webpage listed in my earlier post.

Thanks for the reply,
HaloSlayer255

Board footer