You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-14 09:13:58

minze

Awesome WM: Manage notification popups [SOLVED]

How can I turn off notifications created by applications? For example, spotify spawns a notification covering one fourth of my screen every time a new song is played.

Last edited by minze (2015-12-23 16:25:29)

#2 2015-12-19 20:45:17

LCvanDinteren

Re: Awesome WM: Manage notification popups [SOLVED]

I flagged this post a while ago because I wanted to do the same.

Did some (quite basic) research which you should've done before posting.

Anyway, I found the solution on reddit, but might as well post it here for future reference:

GaryTheKrampus wrote:

Whoah, found this while looking through the old posts on this sub. Not a whole lot going on around here, huh?
I would imagine that by now you've probably found a solution to this. Let me post the two solutions I've found, in case anybody's looking at this post sometime in the unforeseen future trying to figure this thing out.
Option 1: Easy but lame. We can suppress Spotify's UI track notifications with a single line in the config file. Open up ~/.config/spotify/Users/<spotifylogin>-user/prefs (where <spotifylogin> is your login name) in an editor and add the following line:

ui.track_notifications_enabled=false

That's it. The downside to this is that some spotify-related applications, for instance the SpotCommander server, rely on those UI notifications to function. Disabling them means that application can't get track metadata when a new track starts, so for instance the SpotCommander client won't know what music is playing. That's lame. Hence...
Option 2: Hard but radical! Instead of preventing Spotify from sending track notifications, we're going to configure naughty, awesome's notifications manager, to ignore them. Open up your rc.lua file, most likely at ~/.config/awesome/rc.lua, and add the following bit of code to the end:

-- {{{ Naughty
-- Fuck off spotify i hate your shitty enormous notifications.
naughty.config.presets.spotify = {callback = function() return false end}
table.insert(naughty.config.mapping, {{appname = "Spotify"}, naughty.config.presets.spotify})
-- }}}

(While useful to programmers, profanity is not vital to functionality, so add or remove as you see fit).
What that's doing is creating a new naughty configuration that tells every notification using that configuration not to display itself. Then, it maps that configuration to all notifications coming from an application called "Spotify". So the notification gets to dbus and things like SpotCommander can use it, but awesome doesn't display it. Neat!

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/awesomewm/comm … sic_popup/

Board footer