You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-22 17:05:28

warm

"btrfs balance start /" can be done again and again

btrfs balance every time founds the same number of chunks to relocate. For example if I run the command just after it has been finished it runs again and does balance again. Number of chunks only  grows with time but why ?

Why "btrfs balance" does not reduce number of chunks ?

#2 2015-12-22 18:52:31

Tutti

Re: "btrfs balance start /" can be done again and again

I'm not an expert, but I can't find anything indicating that btrfs balance should reduce the number of chunks.

btrfs FAQ

btrfs FAQ wrote:

btrfs filesystem balance is an operation which simply takes all of the data and metadata on the filesystem, and re-writes it in a different place on the disks, passing it through the allocator algorithm on the way. It was originally designed for multi-device filesystems, to spread data more evenly across the devices (i.e. to "balance" their usage). ....

btrfs Manpage

btrfs Manpage wrote:

The primary purpose of the balance feature is to spread block groups accross all devices so they match constraints defined by the respective profiles. ...

If "reduce number of chunks" was based on:

If there is a lot of allocated but unused data or metadata chunks, a balance may reclaim some of that allocated space. This is the main reason for running a balance on a single-device filesystem.

then see: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php … gularly.3F

Board footer