You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-28 20:04:26

memory_leak

A suggestion for archlinux forum

Hi guys,

I am in process of putting together new machine, and am still researching online reviews for components. Since I have experience from before, I am trying to find components known to work with linux, but with latest hardware it is not that easy! Furthermore virtually none of review/benchmark sites ever even mention compatibility with Linux.

My proposal is to get a section dedicated to hardware components mobos, gfx cards, cpus, etc, maybe different categories with a thread per component where users could post their own comments, reviews and ask for help regarding issues about that specific component. Of course, with focus on arch linux or generic linux installation and configuration.

There probably are such forums already, but would be nice to have this forum as one stop for all system related issues. With such approach it might be possible to maybe clean arch wiki from specific hardware related topics which usually get outdated realtively soon, but still clutter articles since they are usually not updated as hardware issues become obsolete.

#2 2015-12-28 20:07:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: A suggestion for archlinux forum

People already do this with machine specific threads and the stickied Laptops that run Arch thread.

And, as you note, with the pace of kernel development, these become outdated very quickly so their utility is limited.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-12-28 21:43:45

memory_leak

Well, yes, and that might be reason to make a hardware specific section, would be less scattered around the forum, easier to find, less polution of other sections etc ... kind of convenience

#4 2016-01-01 23:32:37

memory_leak

I would also like to see more Linux oriented reviews of hardware. Currently there are pretty much none. A central place to go and find about Linux compatibility would be nice. Things getting outdated is really not an argument, since people would pretty much do no reviews at all if that was a concern.

Board footer