You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-30 07:38:52

bodysativa

[solved] HP EliteBook 8540w - suspension stopped working

Until recently, for few years, suspension to RAM worked flawlessly. Few days ago I've updated the system (pacman -Syu), and suspension stopped working.

Now, after selecting `End Session -> Suspend` (I'm on XFCE), or using `systemctl suspend`, the laptop suspends OK, but it won't wake up. When in suspension state, the power button fades smoothly on and off, like it always did. After clicking power button to wake it up, it powers on, CPU seems to be working, because it generates heat, FAN also works, but the screen is blank, i.e. CapsLock button doesn't respond (hardware capslock led does not react when clicking capslock), nothing seems to work. The only thing I can do is to power it off bt holding the Power button few seconds. It seems like there is some problem in the wakeup process, not the suspension itself (although I don't have any knowledge about that).

1) In order to test it's not a screen issue, I've suspended laptop when having only 1 terminal window maximalized. After waking it up, I've tried to restart the system with `systemctl reboot`, but it didn't react, so I conclude that's not only a screen issue ;).

2) Also I've tried to suspend/wake up without any USB devices plugged in to verify it's not some USB device that causes the problem, but there are no USB devices attached when wakeup fails.

3) I also have Windows on this laptop, and on Windows, suspension works OK, so I guess it's a Linux issue.

4) My last update upgraded the kernel from `4.2.2-1` to `4.2.5-1`. I've tried to install linux-lts kernel, `4.1.15-1-lts`, but it behaves the same as `4.2.5-1`. Can I even downgrade my kernel to 4.2.2-1? I don't see this version on download servers.

5) Observation: when trying to wakeup with a USB device plugged in (wifi card), the laptop is in locked state, as I've said before the CPU and fan are working, but the device doesn't power up.

Do anyone have any idea what might have caused this problem? I would like to try to use 4.2.2-1 again, but I'm not sure where can I find the same kernel as before. I don't have it in `/var/lib/pacman/local`. Is my only option is to try to compile it myself?

Last edited by bodysativa (2015-12-30 18:23:15)

#2 2015-12-30 18:23:03

bodysativa

Re: [solved] HP EliteBook 8540w - suspension stopped working

I've started to diagnose if it's not some driver that's causing the lockup. I've started to disable kernel modules one by one and it seems that `iwlwifi` and `iwldvm` modules are causing my system to lock up during waking up. When I blacklisted those drivers, sleeping (and resuming) started to work OK.

Board footer