You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-30 11:56:06

senden9

[PKGBUILD] use boolean operators on makedepends

Hi,
Is it possible to use a OR -conjunction between to "makedepends"? I will use it between the packages "go" and "gcc-go" because it work with both.

#2 2015-12-30 12:46:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [PKGBUILD] use boolean operators on makedepends

No you can't.  A PKGBUILD should build the same package regardless of what machine it is build on (except for architecture differences which are represented in the built package name).

You can have two packages yourthing-go and yourthing-gcc-go.

If gcc-go and go 'provided' the same package, then you could just list that as a dependency, and you'd have what you want.  But currently they don't.  I don't know much about go, but I know this was discussed previously - however gcc-go and go are sufficiently different that they cannot be said to provide 'go'.  There does seem to be some minimally shared functionality that might be able to be a metapackage provided by both: go-basic or go-core or some such might be a useful metapackage to suggest to the devs to have provided by both of these.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-12-30 13:08:40

senden9

Trilby wrote:

[…]  A PKGBUILD should build the same package regardless of what machine it is build on […]

Thanks. This seams to makes sense.

#4 2015-12-30 15:12:55

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

A PKGBUILD should build the same package regardless of what machine it is build on

I have found (the hard way) that to actually achieve this, you really need to build in a Clean Root

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2015-12-30 15:23:29

Scimmia
Fellow

ewaller wrote:
Trilby wrote:

A PKGBUILD should build the same package regardless of what machine it is build on

I have found (the hard way) that to actually achieve this, you really need to build in a Clean Root

And even then it's not guaranteed. This is why there's a push for reproducible builds.

Board footer