You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-31 09:05:26

davy_crockett

[SOLVED] Issues with VMWare workstation

Hi there,

I've installed VMWare Workstation 12 on Arch Linux and I have experienced two issues. The first is for a guest VM located in my home directory, I receive the error "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory."
Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded." I have tried installing the vmware-patch and vmware-systemd-services packages from AUR as explained in the https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VM … d_services section. My /etc/systemd/system directory does NOT contain the files vmware.service or vmware-USBArbitrator.service or vmware-workstation-server.service, so running the command

systemctl start /etc/systemd/system/vmware.service

results in an error.

What do I have to do to resolve this issue?

My second issue is that I have other virtual machines and operating system ISO's located on a truecrypt volume. My truecrypt volume is mounted under /mnt/truecrypt1 with permissions 700 with my standard user account as the user and users as the group and I can normally navigate there fine in the console or in dolphin and execute programs. However if I try creating a folder for a VM here in VMWare workstation, I receive the error message "The folder could not be created. Error creating directory Operation not permitted".

If I try opening a pre-existing VM from my truecrypt volume, I receive the error message "Unable to open "/mnt/truecrypt1/Virtual Machines/Slackware 14.1/Slackware 14.1.vmx": Internal error. If I copy the VMs to my home directory and open them, it will open successfully however I receive the error explained in part 1 when I try to power it on - "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory."

Clearly, something is wrong with permissions with vmware workstation and my truecrypt volume. I've tried running vmware workstation as root by typing sudo vmware in the console and received exactly the same error messages.

Last edited by davy_crockett (2016-01-23 07:18:51)

#2 2016-01-01 12:34:59

davy_crockett

Re: [SOLVED] Issues with VMWare workstation

I resolved the first issue (could not open /dev/vmmon) by uninstalling and reinstalling vmware workstation and then entering

systemctl start vmware.service
systemctl enable vmware.service
systemctl start vmware-USBArbitrator.service
systemctl enable vmware-USBArbitrator.service

Instead of the path descrbed in the above post.

However the second issue persists. I tried mounting my truecrypt volume as read-only and then I can actually open the VM's in VMWare workstation without receiving the internal error. However it obviously gives an error: Unable to change virtual machine power state: read only filesystem when attempting to actually power it on.

Does anyone have any idea why it would say "Unable to open "/mnt/truecrypt1/Virtual Machines/Slackware 14.1/Slackware 14.1.vmx": Internal error" when attempting to open a VM from my truecrypt volume (mounted with rwx------ access)? I have tried opening several different virtual machines and it has the same problem. For some reason I can open them but not power on when the truecrypt volume is mounted with r-x------ access. I can also copy the VM's to my home directory and open and power them on that way, however I have limited space on my local volume.

#3 2016-01-22 08:15:39

davy_crockett

I was able to resolve this by installing dosfstools and ntfsprogs through pacman. The NTFS-3G wiki page doesn't list these packages; ntfsprogs is required for formatting NTFS partitions and for some applications to access NTFS partitions

#4 2016-01-22 11:25:29

x33a
Forum Fellow

@davy_crockett, please mark your thread as solved.

Board footer