You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-15 21:07:35

b4t3m4n

smtp forwarding question

Basically I have a postfix smtp installed on my webserver and I want to use it to relay mail for my websites that have things like registration.  The biggest problem is most major mail websites (hotmail, yahoo, etc) wont allow random smtp servers anymore in an effort to fight spam. 

so.. I was wondering if there was a way to make postfix connect to another smtp server that is trusted, and I have an account on, and use it to forward my mail to various users.

Or is there a way to configure php to use a remote smtp server instead of localhost (would have to be able to input user name and password for both these situations to log on to the smtp.)

#2 2006-04-15 21:10:13

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: smtp forwarding question

both are possible.
you can even install something simple like nbsmtp or ssmtp. Those are strickly relay agents. Install those on your webserver, and point them to your mailserver.
.QED

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer