You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-05 18:45:41

rodrunner

[SOLVED] Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Hi,
my hard disk started having issues and I decided to replace it with a new one. This time I'm trying to install a system with LVM (LVs for root, /boot and /home). I am following the instalation guide but I get stuck trying to configure the network (I'm using a wireless interface) in the chroot environment. I'm doing it via netctl, but when I try to start a profile, I get the error message

Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

I tried also to connect to my wireless network with wifi-menu, but I can just get to scan the networks, any connection try  ends up with the same error as above.
Also when I call systemd or busctl, I get the same error message.

If I exit the chroot environment and go back to the system on the CD, I have no problem to configure the wireless interface with netctl. I would appreciate any help about how to troubleshoot this issue, I can provide more info, logs, etc. if you require it.

Last edited by rodrunner (2016-01-06 00:23:52)

#2 2016-01-05 19:06:47

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Beginners Guide wrote:

If you used wifi-menu priorly, repeat the steps after finishing the rest of this installation and rebooting, to prevent conflicts with the existing processes.

Don't set up your wireless inside the chroot as it won't work (as you've found out), you have to do it whilst booted into your new system.

Basically the message bus systemd needs isn't available inside a chroot.

Last edited by Slithery (2016-01-05 19:09:15)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-01-05 20:50:47

rodrunner

thank you for the response.
Before booting the new system from the hard disk, I got stuck now installing the grub2. I added lvm2 to the hooks in /etc/mkinitcipio.conf and generated a new ramdisk, but I get the following error:

grub-install: error: unable to identify a filesystem in hostdisk//dev/sdb; safety check can't be performed.

I also tried with the -s  option (skip-fs-probe) but I could not complete the install either:

grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or to a partition. This is a BAD idea..
    b¡grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but his is required for RAID and LVM install

I've set LVM on the entire disk, I have no partitions in /dev/sdb. Should I then create a partition before creating the volume group? I remember to have completed once a similar Arch installation with LVM, but this time is getting way too complicated for my limited Linux knowledge.

#4 2016-01-06 00:23:08

rodrunner

Getting Grub2 along with LVM was challenging but I finally got it working. After recreating the LVM structure in a partition, I got another error:

grub-install: warning: your core.img is unusually large.  It won't fit in the embedding area.
grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and LVM install.

It looks like the embedding area depends on the beginning sector of the 1st partition, which by default is sector 64 when you use fdisk for partitioning. I had to start all over again creating the partition but this time I chose a higher number (2048) for the 1st sector, just in case.

Last edited by rodrunner (2016-01-06 00:24:48)

#5 2016-01-06 05:55:46

tom.ty89

Hmm but fdisk have been starting at LBA 2048, at least if you start by creating a new partition table ('o').

Board footer