You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-07 08:05:01

STREBLO

TexLive problem - warning: kpathsea: texmf.cnf not found

So I need to install texlive and attempted to install texlive-core and texlive-bin using the instructions provided in the wiki.

When I try the install I end up getting the output (Non-relevant code removed):

pacman  texlive-bin texlive-core

(5/6) installing texlive-bin                               [###############################] 100%
>>> texlive: updating the filename database...
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories: /usr/bin:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c:/://share/texmf-local/web2c://share/texmf-dist/web2c://share/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c://texmf-dist/web2c://texmf/web2c.
mktexlsr: Done.
Optional dependencies for texlive-bin
    ed: for texconfig
(6/6) installing texlive-core                              [###############################] 100%
>>> texlive: saving updmap.cfg as /tmp/tmp.DMWC1qwAGz...
>>> texlive: regenerating updmap.cfg (custom additions should go
             into /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
>>> texlive: updating the filename database...
mktexlsr: Updating /etc/texmf/ls-R... 
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texmf-dist/ls-R... 
mktexlsr: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R... 
removed ‘var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/0399a8df3aef8d154781d0a9c2b8e28d/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.lua’
removed ‘var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/0399a8df3aef8d154781d0a9c2b8e28d/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.luc’
>>> texlive: updating the fontmap files with updmap...
 done.
creating all formats...fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eptex.ini for eptex/eptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile euptex.ini for euptex/euptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile uptex.ini for uptex/uptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile aleph.ini for aleph/aleph not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile ptex.ini for ptex/ptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile mltex.ini for mltex/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfjadetex.ini for pdfjadetex/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile lualollipop.ini for lualollipop/luatex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfxmltex.ini for pdfxmltex/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile platex.ini for platex/eptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile lambda.ini for lamed/aleph not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile xelollipop.ini for xelollipop/xetex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile jadetex.ini for jadetex/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eplain.ini for eplain/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile uplatex.ini for uplatex/euptex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile texsis.ini for texsis/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile lollipop.ini for lollipop/pdftex not found.
fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile xmltex.ini for xmltex/pdftex not found.
 done.
 (logs are under /var/lib/texmf/web2c/<engine>/<formatname>.log)

It said searched for the configuration file texmf.cnf:

warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories: 
/usr/bin:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c:/://share/texmf-local/web2c://share/texmf-dist/web2c://share/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c://texmf-dist/web2c://texmf/web2c.

BUT, using kpsewhich "standalone path lookup and and expansion for kpathsea"

I end up getting the response that is found in "/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf".

kpsewhich -a texmf.cnf
/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf

That's one of the directories listed above as one of the places it was not able to find the configuration file. What's going on? Does anyone have any idea what I should do? This is my first time installing Tex live but after looking around I was unable to find someone else with the a similar problem.

#2 2016-01-07 18:11:09

STREBLO

Re: TexLive problem - warning: kpathsea: texmf.cnf not found

Should this have been posted in applications?

#3 2016-01-07 18:14:47

ewaller
Administrator

STREBLO wrote:

It could go either way.  If you would like it moved, use the report function and drop the moderators a note.
These are warnings.  Are you having any issues using the package?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-01-07 18:20:47

STREBLO

ewaller wrote:
STREBLO wrote:

It could go either way.  If you would like it moved, use the report function and drop the moderators a note.
These are warnings.  Are you having any issues using the package?

I didn't want to use a broken setup so I actually uninstalled it right away . I could try reinstalling it...

Last edited by STREBLO (2016-01-07 18:21:28)

#5 2016-01-07 19:18:06

STREBLO

I ended up doing a manual install for now as talked about on the wiki , but ultimately it would be preferred to have the package manager taking care of this.

#6 2016-01-17 00:46:50

cfr

Arch replaces texmf.cnf in /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf with a symbolic link to a file under /etc. However, this is done when installing texlive-core, which occurs only after texlive-bin is installed and it is the installation of texlive-bin which issues the warning.

I don't use Arch's TeX Live and I would encourage you to stick to upstream's, but I think the warning is probably Just A Warning and nothing to worry about. It can clearly find the file fine because it has no trouble creating formats etc., which I'm pretty sure require information from that file.

The later warnings are simply due to the fact that you've only installed a very small fraction of TeX Live and so a lot of stuff which you could have, but don't, is not found. Since you've not installed those things, this is all perfectly normal and, unless you want those things, it isn't a problem.

Last edited by cfr (2016-01-17 00:47:35)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer