You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-07 15:52:43

herzmeister

Second screen flickering after kernel update (4.3.3-2-ARCH)

Since the latest linux kernel update (it seems) I'm having problems with the second screen (TV) I hook up with my notebook via HDMI. The picture goes switched off (along with the sound going silent as well) and on again erratically. This is of course very annoying, my second screen becomes practically unusable.

The issue seems to be influenced by activity: the more busy the graphic output on the desktop is, the worse the effect becomes. I use the Gnome 3 desktop, but the effect is also existent in plain text mode.  It also happens when I simply boot the latest (January) Arch ISO from an USB stick and I simply run commands. Also here the effect becomes worse when there is a lot of (textual) output, like initializing major installations via pacman.

And no, it's not the cable, since everything works fine with a Lubuntu 15.10 live USB stick I have lying around.

Both the live ISO and my current installed system load the nouveau driver.

#2 2016-01-08 11:48:46

herzmeister

Re: Second screen flickering after kernel update (4.3.3-2-ARCH)

Booted with the 4.1.15-1-lts kernel now, with which indeed I don't have this problem.

#3 2016-06-21 20:03:54

herzmeister

Re: Second screen flickering after kernel update (4.3.3-2-ARCH)

This issue is still unresolved.

The apparently related upstream bug report is this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91393

What's worse, since April, this bug made it also into the LTS kernel, which means I have to keep the LTS kernel downgraded. sad

Board footer