You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-08 09:42:11

flungo

Dockerised Applications

I have created quite a few dockerised variants of applications that exist on the AUR. This is particularly useful where the application has a lot of dependencies, for example, python based applications. I was getting a lot of problem with different applications needing different sets of dependencies and then updating one conflicting with the other, as well as the mess that is created when half the packages use `pip` to install python dependencies and the others do (what I consider the correct thing) of using AUR packages as the dependencies. I find that when applications like this run within a container it creates for a much cleaner environment and have found that docker is a quick and easy way to implement this. What I am asking is, is there a place in the AUR for packages like this? Would I be able to create and upload a few of these similar to how git based packages are tagged `-git` with the tag `-docker`?

One of the first packages I would do this with would be the `aws-cli` as that's one of my most tested implementations of the technique I use to allow it to seem like a native application running on the host.

The same could also be done for services, utilising systemd to start those services.

I would be interested to hear how the community reacts to this suggestion and know if there is an interest for packages like this? For me it would be much easier if I could get these packages from the AUR when setting up a new machine but I understand there are guidelines as to what should and shouldn't be included in the AUR.

Board footer