You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-08 20:32:07

buntolo

Lost rEFInd

I've a Clevo W230SS with 2 ssd, one with Windows only and the other one with arch.

Everything was fine, untile one day, I don't know if it was due to arch kernel update or Windows NVRAM overwrite, when rEFInd stopped showing archlinux boot entry.

I tried to install rEFInd manually again using a Linux Mint live USB but failing.
Trying the same with Windows 10 achieve no success, as it seems that Windows 10 doesn't allow to use bcdedit anymore.

I can arch-chroot in my installed archlinux system using an archlinux live USB but I don't know what to do.

Computer partitioning is this:

SSD #1:
EFI boot FAT32
/
/var
/home
swap

SSD #2
Windows recovery
Windows boot
Windows OS

For what I've understood rEFInd was installed on Windows boot (and not on EFI boot FAT32 as intended).
I've tried to install again rEFInd  on EFI boot FAT32 but while it was just showing Windows 10 menu entry at boot, now it doesn't pop up at all, it just boot Windows 10. It looks like installing rEFInd on EFI boot FAT32 killed it.

ps: I've searched the forums using "refind", "refind issue", "refind missing", "refind problem" without finding anything useful.

Last edited by buntolo (2016-01-08 20:33:00)

#2 2016-01-12 16:24:28

buntolo

Re: Lost rEFInd

Ok, here what I've tried:
1) Removed SSD #2 and left only SSD #1 with arch.
2) Deleted everything in FAT32 EFI boot partition.
3) Removed every entry in efibootmgr
4) Installed manually rEFInd as per guidelines: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#linux

I used arch-chroot from a live USB to chroot in my "old" arch system installed on SSD.

It doesn't work and at boot I see a message like "no bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key".

EDIT:
I've tried installing rEFInd manually as per archwiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RE … figuration

The problem is always the same: it just won't boot, even if efibootmgr registered entry.

I tried to create a rEFInd USB live to launch rEFInd from there: I can boot Windows, probably from its rEFInd, I can't boot arch.

From rEFInd USB I have two icons: one for Windows and the other for rEFInd. If I check the path, it matches with the one installed manually by me. Selecting it will just result in an instant refresh of rEFInd page, where it appears El Torito entry in place of "my" rEFInd one. El Torito should just by the USB live itself and selecting it all appears as after fresh boot.

NOTE: This could be something really important, but I can't find info querying google. I've used a Mint Live USB to launch the efibootmgr command to write in NVRAM and system rebooted instantly. And by instantly I mean it took less than 1 second to show POST.

A brutal reboot for unknown reasons.

Last edited by buntolo (2016-01-12 20:10:57)

#3 2016-01-12 18:23:57

buntolo

Re: Lost rEFInd

Moderators, you can remove this post, as I've posted it new instead of editing the previous one, made in the same day.

Last edited by buntolo (2016-01-12 20:08:50)

Board footer