You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-17 01:33:16

ohioj

playing a audio CD with Arch

I am not new to linux, but new to Arch. How in the world do I mount a CD so I can use xmms ?

I do not see the standard /mnt/cdrom  directory.
what should my fstab file look like for the cdrom?

it is in there, but I want 2 make sure.
I am using Wombat. with the standard 2.6 kernel, and i did not install udev.
do I need udev for the cdrom for some reason?

linuxreport.bravehost.com    (my site in progress)

#2 2006-04-17 06:08:26

Snarkout

Re: playing a audio CD with Arch

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but you don't need (or want) to mount a cd to play it.  What problem are you having?

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#3 2006-04-17 07:36:18

moire

Audio CDs can be read directly from the device. Since you're not doing filesystem operations on them, they don't have to be mounted. You might want to try a player like xine. You can just click "cd" in xine and it will play without being mounted.

#4 2006-04-17 08:17:33

ohioj

i put the cd in, then open xmms. it does nothing. I then tell it to play a file or location, but I do not know to tell it where 2 look in the file system tree.

like in slackware, i just tell it to open /mnt/cdrom... or close. I don't remember at the moment.

should arch mount any cd i put in the drive?

linuxreport.bravehost.com    (my site in progress)

#5 2006-04-17 09:48:31

test1000

maybe /dev/cdrom ?

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#6 2006-04-17 11:42:29

McQueen

ohioj wrote:

I then tell it to play a file or location, but I do not know to tell it where 2 look in the file system tree.

It should reflect your /etc/fstab entry. For example, mine is below. I would tell xmms to goto /dev/hdc. Now, I use KDE and have hal loaded as a daemon on boot so when I slip in a CD it is automounted and use Kaffeine to just start playing the disk right away. This is just one method but with audio cd's you don't mount them manually (as you might a data-cd), instead relying on the player of your choice to read what is on the CD and play it back.

/dev/hdc  /mnt/dvd  auto  ro,user,noauto,unhide  0 0

/path/to/Truth

#7 2006-04-17 12:34:03

FUBAR
Website

Your CD-Rom's /dev name depends on the position it has on the IDE controller: it's going to be hda/hdb/hdc/hdd/ ...

Udev also creates symlinks with more usable names like /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, ... Try pointing to one of those with XMMS.

[edit]
Don't forget to add your user to the "optical" group.
[/edit]

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#8 2006-04-18 19:25:24

jaboua

Sheinar wrote:

Isn't it simply that the CD Audio Player plugin in XMMS is set to /mnt/cdrom instead of /mnt/cd by default and needs changing?

It wont AFAIK work with /mnt/cd either as you don't mount audio CDs, the media player access them directly.

It's been a long time since I used XMMS, but in BMP it's only a matter of pressing shift+c

Board footer