You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 16:40:27

Iyyel
Website

[SOLVED] Macbook Pro (11,5, mid 2015) Trouble connecting to WiFi.

Hello Arch forums. smile

Trying to install Arch for the first time on my MBP. (specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP719?locale=en_US) Using the wiki as well as a YouTube tutorial (which... follows the wiki). Most stuff has been going smoothly so far. Partitioning wasn't bad, locales etc went smooth as well, just like the base base-devel system install. I feel like I've learned a lot.

However, I just can't seem to get the wifi working AT ALL. I'm using an USB to Ethernet adapter currently, which is working fine with NetworkManager installed.

What I've tried so far:
Installing broadcom-wl, like shown here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … x#Wireless

I get to do all the commands shown in the wiki, modprobe wl works fine, I suppose, as it does not return anything after being executed.

It gives no errors before I run wifi-menu into the console. I have a clear picture of what exactly happens here: http://i.imgur.com/5mfopLF.jpg
Basically, it outputs "Invalid Interface Specification" after I type in wifi-menu, and I can't seem to get past this.

lspci gives me this:
04:00.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless Lan SoC (rev 01)

And ip link:

[iyyel@archbook ~]$ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s20u5: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:0e:c6:c1:9d:58 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
[iyyel@archbook ~]$

enp0s20u5 is my USB to ethernet adapter.

I have another problem, which is that my screen brightness is unadjustable. If anyone has any input on that, I would love to hear from you as well.

If anyone has some tips, tricks or advice for me, please do contact me. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-16 20:17:18)

#2 2016-01-13 15:53:59

Iyyel
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Macbook Pro (11,5, mid 2015) Trouble connecting to WiFi.

EDIT: Pasted in the OP. Sorry.

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-13 18:22:40)

#3 2016-01-13 22:29:59

tyrannis

Welcome to Arch,

First: Never, ever, follow any guide to installing Arch except those provided by Arch, e.g. Beginner's Guide, Installation Guide, and General Recommendations.  At best outside guides only show how to set up Arch on whatever system/configuration the guide uses, at worst it is out of date, sometimes horribly.

Second: Did you install dialog, wpa_supplicant, and netctl? wifi-menu requires these packages in order to run.  In addition, you need to run wifi-menu with the -o option.

lyyel wrote:

I have another problem, which is that my screen brightness is unadjustable. If anyone has any input on that, I would love to hear from you as well.

If you have another issue please start another topic: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

#4 2016-01-15 11:55:06

Iyyel
Website

tyrannis wrote:

Welcome to Arch,

First: Never, ever, follow any guide to installing Arch except those provided by Arch, e.g. Beginner's Guide, Installation Guide, and General Recommendations.  At best outside guides only show how to set up Arch on whatever system/configuration the guide uses, at worst it is out of date, sometimes horribly.

Second: Did you install dialog, wpa_supplicant, and netctl? wifi-menu requires these packages in order to run.  In addition, you need to run wifi-menu with the -o option.

lyyel wrote:

If you have another issue please start another topic: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Thank you so much for your post.

Yes, I do have all these packages installed, and when I append the -o option to the wifi-menu command (wifi-menu -o) I still get the same error as I described above, "Invalid interface specification."

I'll ask the other question later when I get WiFi to work. Sorry for the rushed posts. I was desperate to get this up and running.

Anyway, status is that I have all the packages installed that you specified, I built broadcom-wl-dkms from yaourt with my kernels linux-headers, default arch-4.3.3-2-ARCH, still with no result.

ip link still only shows lo and my usb to ethernet adapter.

EDIT: Been trying a few different things, to give as much information as I can to you guys.

'lspci -k' shows:
"
4:00.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43602 802.11.ac Wireless LAN SoC (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Apple Inc. Device 0152
    Kernel modules: brcmfmac, wl
"

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-15 12:48:44)

#5 2016-01-15 15:45:46

tyrannis

What is the output of:

iw dev

#6 2016-01-15 15:49:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Your ip a output shows no wireless interface, so messing around with different management tools is pointless.  Either wl doesn't work with your wireless card, wl is not properly loaded, or there are conflicting modules also loaded.

Could you post the output of `lspci -vnn | grep -i net` - it seems many BCM43602 cards should use brcmfmac, not wl.  This command will specify which 43602 you have to be sure.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2016-01-15 15:53:25

Iyyel
Website

tyrannis wrote:

What is the output of:

iw dev

When I enter "iw dev" into the terminal, it gives no output at all.

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-15 15:56:21)

#8 2016-01-15 15:55:53

Iyyel
Website

Trilby wrote:

Your ip a output shows no wireless interface, so messing around with different management tools is pointless.  Either wl doesn't work with your wireless card, wl is not properly loaded, or there are conflicting modules also loaded.

Could you post the output of `lspci -vnn | grep -i net` - it seems many BCM43602 cards should use brcmfmac, not wl.  This command will specify which 43602 you have to be sure.

I get this:

[iyyel@archbook ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep -i net
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC [14e4:43ba] (rev 01)

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-15 15:56:45)

#9 2016-01-15 15:59:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That card is supported by brcmfmac.  Get rid of wl, blacklist bcma, then either reboot or rmmod bmca and wl and ensure brcmfmac is loaded.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2016-01-15 16:12:23

Iyyel
Website

Trilby wrote:

That card is supported by brcmfmac.  Get rid of wl, blacklist bcma, then either reboot or rmmod bmca and wl and ensure brcmfmac is loaded.

Your help is very appreciated, thanks a lot! I'm kinda new to arch, and Linux in general, so I'm not 100% sure on how to do some of these things.

I got rid of the wl-driver, but I'm not too sure how I would go about blacklisting bmca? - also, I do not need to install brcmfmac?

Thanks.

EDIT: Should have looked around the wiki before posting. My apologies.

I created a /etc/modprobe.d/no_bmca.conf file, and wrote: blacklist bmca inside. Do I need more?

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-01-15 16:23:47)

#11 2016-01-15 16:53:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Iyyel wrote:

Learning from your experience is the only penance we'd seek.  I was going to direct you to the wiki - the need to blacklist bcma is covered in the broadcom wiki with a link to the method to do so - which I presume you now found.

It looks like what you have should work.  You do not need to install brcmfmac as it is part of the kernel.  With bcma blacklisted the interface should show up on the next reboot (show up in the output of `ip a`).  If it doesn't perhaps there is another module also interfering.  Some time back we used to have to also blacklist ssb, but lets do one step at a time.

#12 2016-01-15 18:11:07

Iyyel
Website

Trilby wrote:
Iyyel wrote:

Learning from your experience is the only penance we'd seek.  I was going to direct you to the wiki - the need to blacklist bcma is covered in the broadcom wiki with a link to the method to do so - which I presume you now found.

It looks like what you have should work.  You do not need to install brcmfmac as it is part of the kernel.  With bcma blacklisted the interface should show up on the next reboot (show up in the output of `ip a`).  If it doesn't perhaps there is another module also interfering.  Some time back we used to have to also blacklist ssb, but lets do one step at a time.

I understand. I replied to the thread before I even did the research myself, which was my bad. As I said, I found out how to blacklist the kernel module, which seem to have worked, and I learned as well, as you say, that the brcmfmac is a part of the kernel by default. After a reboot it worked, as you say.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Board footer