You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-18 03:49:48

bones
Website

Cannot recieve email [SOLVED]

HELP! I hope somebody can help me. I can't seem to connect to recieve my emails, I've tried thunderbird and a couple of other clients with no luck. I double checked the settings and they seem correct, but it times out. Everything worked with my last distro so am I missing something somewhere. If it helps I'm using ADSL. The Web browser works perfectly and I can check my emails through the isp's website, sad

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#2 2006-04-18 08:10:11

vacant

Re: Cannot recieve email [SOLVED]

Is this POP3 email? If so, you know the server (A), username (B) and password (C) so open a console and type in ...

telnet A pop3
user B
pass C
list
top 1 100
quit

"list" command should list all the emails
"top" command will display first 10 lines of message 1

Does that work?

#3 2006-04-18 08:31:10

bones
Website

That works OK so now I'm really stumped. I've tried thunderbird, evolution and sylpheed-claws

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#4 2006-04-18 08:56:51

vacant

double check for case sensitivity, check you're using port 110, use no encryption, use plain text authentication?

edit: long shot - you haven't got some antivirus software hooked in? On Windows mail can often get stuck because the AV software changes mail clients POP3 server to 127.0.0.1 so it can intercept.

#5 2006-04-18 09:26:40

bones
Website

Checked and double checked all the settings and everything is spot on and still no luck. No anti-virus software in this house big_smile. Think I'll double check the router settings next although they havn't been changed and my last distro (fedora core 4) worked ok.

#6 2006-04-18 09:46:04

vacant

I don't know if any of the mail clients you use have a logging option?

On my system, I let cron run "getmail" to fetch from various POP3 accounts. Getmail then either delivers to local users or forwards to children's email accounts at various universities. It has different logging/debug levels. I use getmail rather than fetchmail because it supports Maildir format (so does kmail).

The only time my mail gets stuck is for one ISP (wanadoo in the UK). email usernames are in the "Envelope-to:" header but every few months, their marketing department injects an email without that header and getmail just gives up - I know if I don't have any wanadoo email in the morning to go and delete the marketing spam via telnet.

#7 2006-04-18 11:53:00

bones
Website

I found the problem, don't know why but reset router and now email works like a charm.

Board footer