You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-18 03:09:12

samkostka

[SOLVED] Steam Big Picture on Wrong Monitor

Hi all.  I just got a Steam Controller, which means I'm getting used to using Big Picture mode to launch games.  This works fine in Windows, but on Linux I'm having a few issues.  I can't seem to find a way to get Big Picture to launch on a different monitor.  I have 2 set up using Nvidia Twinview.  One is a 1920x10180 DVI monitor, plugged into an HDMI port with a passive adapter.  The other is an old, 4:3 VGA monitor, plugged into the DVI-I port using the adapter that came with my 960.  I can't seem to get Steam to run Big Picture on the HD monitor, it always runs on the VGA monitor.  A few games have this issue as well, including They Bleed Pixels and Mark of the Ninja.  However, other games run correctly on my 1080p monitor, including Cities Skylines, Grid Autosport and Portal 1 and 2.  I have the HD monitor set as 'default for this X display' in nvidia-settings, and most games do seem to respect that.  The really weird thing is that Steam's desktop mode also aknowledges that, as the login window is always centered on the HD monitor.  I've tried a few things

Running steam with the following:

env SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1

env SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=0

env SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2

Double-checking my nvidia-settings
Switching the order the monitors are listed in 10-monitors.conf's MetaModes section.

I saw online to swap the names of my monitors (Monitor0 and Monitor1) in xorg.conf, however:
1) I don't have this file(?), and
2) In 10-monitors.conf, not all of my monitors are even listed.

I really have no clue what to do, I really just want to play games.  Right now my workaround is to have Big Picture mode windowed and drag it over everytime it opens, but this is annoying.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by samkostka (2016-01-19 01:16:08)

#2 2016-01-18 03:15:42

samkostka

Re: [SOLVED] Steam Big Picture on Wrong Monitor

OMFG I feel so stupid.

I just went in Display Settings in XFCE, and noticed that neither display was set as primary.  So I just picked my HD monitor and just CHECKED. THE. BOX.  And it worked.

I hate how I never try the simple things first.  So yeah, if you're having this problem on XFCE, you're welcome.  I probably just saved you some time.

Board footer