You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-18 13:32:02

guihkx

[SOLVED] Should I create an updated version of the p7zip package?

So, it has been a while since the official p7zip package is updated. The current version in the repo is 9.38.1, while the actual current version is 15.09. The package is flagged out-of-date since 21st October, 2015. Is there any particular reason for that?

Anyway, I've created a updated PKGBUILD (minor changes compared to the official one) containing the updated version of p7zip and I was wondering if I (or anybody else) could upload it to the AUR, named as 'p7zip-beta'.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by guihkx (2016-01-18 14:20:05)

#2 2016-01-18 14:10:39

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Should I create an updated version of the p7zip package?

Read the AUR rules again. the 15.09 is not a beta version or a VCS version, it is simply the current stable version. Please write an email to the last maintainer of the package. He will most likely be able to enlighten you on why it has not been updated yet. If the maintainer does not respond in a sensible frame of time, send a message to the respective mailing list. Do not upload AUR packages with simple updates.

Beyond that, for a package like p7zip, updates are generally slow. Observe the durations between upstream updates here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/files/p7zip/. There hasn't been an update in four years, then two in 2015. The out of date flag is less than a month old. If you read the changelog, there are no fixed bugs or serious issues to be found, but instead a lot of features. Those features might need testing, a month to test such a software might not be enough.

EDIT: Compare this (https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … ages/p7zip) to the official release cycle, to get a feeling for how long it usually takes to test and update this package.

Last edited by Awebb (2016-01-18 14:12:42)

#3 2016-01-18 14:19:50

guihkx

Re: [SOLVED] Should I create an updated version of the p7zip package?

I thought that both 9.38.1 and 15.09 versions were beta, since it's the information given to me when I run 7z in the terminal. Anyway, thanks for your help, I guess there's no need to create another package on AUR then. I'll stick with my modified PKGBUILD and wait for the official package to be updated.

Thanks again.

Board footer