You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-19 13:29:44

ttgr

3D Acceleration problems in VMWare with Arch guest

I have Arch installed as guest in a VM, and everything works flawlessly except 3D Acceleration.
It kinda works, but i cannot figure out exactly the problem. Glxgears run flawlessly.
When running some other 3D accelerated applications though i get some kind of crash with dmesg showing:

[...] [vmwgfx:vm_cmdbuf_work_func] *ERROR* Command buffer error.

For example my renderer gives back: OpenGL error: out of memory
And if i have compton enabled in my xprofile, when starting X session screen blacks out with only the cursor showing
and when inspecting the dmesg after that, the above entry is shown multiple times.

I have:

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.1.0
Fresh installed Arch installation.
Latest version of open-vm-tools.
Git versions of mesa, mesa-libgl, vmwgfx and libdrm.

If i had to bet, i think i would say that the problem resides in the vmwgfx module.
I am not a kernel dev so i cannot be sure. I am willing to find and fix the problem but i have absolutely no kernel development experience,
so guidance will be needed.

Any ideas?

#2 2016-01-19 15:58:52

ewaller
Administrator

Re: 3D Acceleration problems in VMWare with Arch guest

A shot in the dark, but have you tried increasing the video memory in the VM controls?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-01-19 16:14:59

ttgr

Re: 3D Acceleration problems in VMWare with Arch guest

Yep, i tried mading it from 128M to 1G. Nothing. And i really don't think a compton instance can eat up that much memory.

Board footer