You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-19 22:54:48

mdrewitt

Garbage in pantheon Terminal

I am new to Arch and am wanting to use pantheon's terminal because I like how it looks. However once I had it installed Regardless of what I do, there is always the same message. This does't happen in any other terminals that I am using. I haven't noticed any negative side effects due to this garbage, everything still works as expected, it is just irritating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is what is in the terminal.

bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: `dbus-send --type=method_call --session --dest=net.launchpad.pantheon-terminal /net/launchpad/pantheon_terminal org.pantheon.terminal.ProcessFinished string:$PANTHEON_TERMINAL_ID string:"$(history 1 | cut -c 8-)" >/dev/null 2>&1; ; printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
[user@computer ~]$

Also after every command used where it says "line 0:" (both lines) changes counting up by one every command entered.

#2 2016-01-20 03:37:12

Docbroke

Re: Garbage in pantheon Terminal

can you post output of, from your home folder

cat .bashrc

#3 2016-01-20 03:50:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just installed pantheon-terminal and can confirm I get the same messages after every command output.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-01-20 04:30:14

Docbroke

@Trilby, what do you make of syntax error in Prompt Command? Is it related to 'PS1=***' in .bashrc?

#5 2016-01-20 11:18:27

mdrewitt

@Docbroke The output  of cat .bashrc is as follows

[user@Computer ~]$ cat .bashrc
#
# ~/.bashrc
#

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
[[ $- != *i* ]] && return

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '

#6 2016-01-20 13:04:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I couldn't find any pattern - but I didn't search too long.  My PS1 still worked as expected.  PROMPT_COMMAND was not actually set.

The "garbage" itself seems to indicate that pantheon terminal is attempting to set some parameter related to the terminal window to the name of the currently running command.  Though it is not setting the window title, but something through dbus which I have zero understanding of.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2016-01-20 15:36:10

Docbroke

I did install, and found same errors. On side note it looks heavily customized. It produces window boarders and window title with minimize/maximize/close on my i3 (which is disabled in my i3-wm, and nothing works except close button).  When I tried to run it from xfce4-terminal, it give this

sharad ~ > pantheon-terminal
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 20:56:25.262231] Application.vala:155: Terminal version: 0.3.2
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 20:56:25.262347] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.3.3-2-ARCH
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:56:25.269309] Settings.vala:163: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.terminal.saved-state'
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:56:25.270712] Settings.vala:163: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.terminal.settings'
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:56:25.287309] [Gtk] Connecting to session manager
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:56:25.490423] [IBUS] _connection_closed_cb: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 20:56:25.490970] [IBUS] Create input context failed: The connection is closed.

I tried to find out config file, but nothing found in .config or /etc. Uninstalled.

#8 2016-01-20 15:40:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Docbroke wrote:

It produces window boarders and window title with minimize/maximize/close on my i3

Yes, that's gtk3 with it's client-side decoration.  I believe it can be disabled, but it defaults to on.  The buttons send messages to the WM (mostly via EWMH protocols) requesting the relevant actions.  But in a tiler, there are no relevant actions for the WM to do: windows are not minimized or maximized, but they can be closed.

This is the pantheon-terminal, designed to be used (only?) within the pantheon desktop.  I suspect this might actually be the root of the problem: there is some other pantheon service that is not running that the terminal assumes should be running.

#9 2016-08-09 20:16:18

cribbageSTARSHIP

mdrewitt wrote:

I am new to Arch and am wanting to use pantheon's terminal because I like how it looks. However once I had it installed Regardless of what I do, there is always the same message. This does't happen in any other terminals that I am using. I haven't noticed any negative side effects due to this garbage, everything still works as expected, it is just irritating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is what is in the terminal.

bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: `dbus-send --type=method_call --session --dest=net.launchpad.pantheon-terminal /net/launchpad/pantheon_terminal org.pantheon.terminal.ProcessFinished string:$PANTHEON_TERMINAL_ID string:"$(history 1 | cut -c 8-)" >/dev/null 2>&1; ; printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
[user@computer ~]$

Also after every command used where it says "line 0:" (both lines) changes counting up by one every command entered.

Hey man. I was having the same issue. The problem was with the PROMPT_COMMAND which occurs before PS1. Just open up the pantheon terminal and type:

PROMPT_COMMAND="echo -n [$(date +%H%M)]"

Your garbage will be gone.

Board footer