You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-21 21:18:54

Phalkon

[solved] libre office-spell check doesn't work for english

Hi,

I encountered yet another odd bug. In libre office, when I set language to check spellchecker works normally, but when I set language to english, it doesn't check anything.
When I click on check spelling, it only says "spell check completed" even though I know that I have mistakes in the document.

How should I investigate this issue. Did anybody come across anything like this?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Phalkon (2016-01-21 22:22:03)

Why Linux? Because it doesn't hide anything from you. It puts you so closely in control of your machine that you can feel its heartbeat.

#2 2016-01-21 21:31:16

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [solved] libre office-spell check doesn't work for english

Do you have the English dictionary installed?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-01-21 22:01:59

Phalkon

Well... I don't remeber doing that before. Nontheless, I tried this one http://extensions.libreoffice.org/exten … ctionaries , but it didn't help.
It did, however, display the spell-check icon before the English languages (although strangly enough not before the English(USA) one) so I believe I do indeed need a dictionary.

I tried to search for one on this website: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center , but I failed at finding any good English(USA) dictionary. Can you recommend a standard English(USA) dictionary? Do you use one?

Why Linux? Because it doesn't hide anything from you. It puts you so closely in control of your machine that you can feel its heartbeat.

#4 2016-01-21 22:21:01

Phalkon

Installing English dictionary as an extension was bad idea.
All I needed was hunspell-en package.

Thanks slithery.

Last edited by Phalkon (2016-01-21 22:22:41)

#5 2017-02-12 13:28:34

kinleyd

Strange indeed. hunspell-en worked for me as well.

#6 2017-02-12 13:47:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Do not necrobump old threads - especially solved ones.

Also note there is nothing "strange" about this.  This is quite clearly covered in the LibreOffice wiki page.  If you don't install the spell check dictionary, don't expect spell check to work.

Closed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer