You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-24 00:19:50

STREBLO

Partitioning and GRUB - Bit Confused with Conflicting Information

I'm trying to partition my bootloader for a GPT, UEFI, ZFS install using grub. In the wiki it says to create the partitions: 2M BIOS boot (ef02) and 512M Ext boot (8300), when using GPT, however when I read in the EFI System Partition section and grub section it says when using GPT you do not need the 2M BIOS boot partition and only to make a 512M EFI System (ef00 in gdisk) partition . Which one is correct? I am assuming the grub and EFI section are correct and I don't need the additional small partition for grub because I'm using GPT and UEFI but maybe I'm mistaken.

#2 2016-01-24 00:39:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Partitioning and GRUB - Bit Confused with Conflicting Information

A BIOS boot partition (EF02) is only needed to boot GRUB from a GPT disk on a non-UEFI system.

Unless you want to be able to still boot after enabling CSM, you don't need it.

I know nothing about ZFS (as I proved recently) but I think the page you have linked is assuming a non-UEFI system.

#3 2016-01-24 01:45:00

STREBLO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

A BIOS boot partition (EF02) is only needed to boot GRUB from a GPT disk on a non-UEFI system.

Unless you want to be able to still boot after enabling CSM, you don't need it.

I know nothing about ZFS (as I proved recently) but I think the page you have linked is assuming a non-UEFI system.

Ahh, I think you're right.

#4 2016-01-24 11:01:34

bstaletic

As you see in UEFI/GRUB combination there's no need for ef02 partition, though you need $esp, with ef00 type and with FAT32 file system.

Now on to the fun part:
If you are feeling adventurous zfs can be "shoved" in kernel space, as any other driver. Gentoo wiki has a page about zfs containing how to make zfs driver a built in part of the kernel. This way you'd be free of fuse.

Fot those even more adventurous, if a kernel has everything needed to boot (at least scsi, fs and sata controller driver) built in, one should be able to boot without initramfs.

Board footer