You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-25 23:43:23

Zatael

gnome-terminal not working

So heres the issue,

I got arch installed and working with X and gnome3

Everything works fine except that when I try to open gnome terminal I get a loading icon that hangs for a while then goes away and
gnome terminal never opens. I installed another terminal off the package manager so I didn't have to keep using tty1 and also so
that I could see if there was any output when trying to run gnome-terminal. There is:

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 10

I did some perusing on the internet and found that it may be a locale issue.
Here are some of the things I've tried:

Ensuring /etc/locale.conf is correct and walking through the steps to set up the system locales again:

# vi /etc/locale.gen
#uncommented the following:
en_US.UTF-8
ja_JP.UTF-8

# locale-gen
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  ja_JP.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
# localectl set-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8                      (I have also tried with quotes)
# localectl
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: n/a
# reboot

# localectl
       VC Keymap: n/a

/etc/locale.conf:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Then n/a fields are interesting to me. No matter what I do I can't get them to populate. I've read some places that
when someone was having this problem, they were n/a before fix and en_US or something like that afterward.

I have also tried setting the language through the graphical settings interface thinking it may be gnome's own personal
locale. I went it and it was in fact already set to English, so I changed it to Japanese, logged out, logged back in (system not in japanese... ?:/?)
and opened up the settings panel again. Settings shows Japanese is the language, but nothing is actually in Japanese.
I set it back to English and reboot. Nothing. gnome-terminal still hangs

I should note that gnome-terminal is only an example. It seems like all of the gnome tools are having this issue. (something with gtk maybe?)

Also tried the fix on the arch wiki shown below:

Gnome-terminal or rxvt-unicode does not support UTF-8

You need to launch these applications from a UTF-8 locale or they will drop UTF-8 support. Enable the en_US.UTF-8 locale (or your local UTF-8 alternative) per the instructions above and set it as the default locale, then reboot. 

All no dice.

I would much appreciate any input into the matter.

Thanks in advance,
~Zatael

#2 2016-01-27 07:23:02

haaja
Website

Re: gnome-terminal not working

It's probably not the issue here but it seems you haven't set the persistent keyboard settings to /etc/vconsole.conf as per guided here.

#3 2016-01-27 18:39:36

Zatael

I didn't do that because I never set a different keyboard layout.
Ill try setting the persistent layout to see if that helps.

EDIT:
Okay so now I have added the following into /etc/vconsole.conf:

KEYMAP=us
FONT=lat9w-16

and the new output of my localectl command is:

# localectl
       VC Keymap: us

Still no luck with the terminal

Last edited by Zatael (2016-01-27 23:18:56)

#4 2016-01-28 00:53:13

ooo

how do you start gnome/X? If you use startx, you could try with GDM (or any *DM) and vice versa.
is dbus started and working ok for your user?

#5 2016-01-28 16:03:47

Zatael

ooo wrote:

how do you start gnome/X? If you use startx, you could try with GDM (or any *DM) and vice versa.
is dbus started and working ok for your user?

slim through systemd and gnome-session in my .xinitrc

#6 2016-01-29 02:06:45

zq

I have the same problem.

ArchLinux with Gnome installed today. Everything works except gnome-terminal. This is a longstanding bug.

#7 2016-01-29 02:10:35

dberg918

Looks like you're running into this bug. Try modifying the Exec line in your /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop file:

Exec=dbus-launch gnome-terminal

I remember having problems with gnome-terminal after this change occurred. The bug linked above has grown into quite a trail, spanning Arch, GNOME, dbus, and systemd. I just resolved to put a modified .desktop file in my ~/.local/share/applications folder with the above modification until a proper fix is made, since gnome-terminal would break every time it got updated.

#8 2016-01-29 16:28:58

zq

dberg918 wrote:
Exec=dbus-launch gnome-terminal

Thanks, but it did not work. It is indeed true that the above dbus-launch starts two more dbus-daemon processes (a "--fork ... --session" one and a "--config-file ...accessibility --nofork..." one).

Same result from xterm command-line: manually invoking dbus-launch gnome-terminal multiple times leaves a number of "dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid..." around.

All this happens in an Arch fresh install.

Funny update: in the journal I found this error:

Jan 29 17:01:17 ciofeca org.gnome.Terminal[1162]: Non UTF-8 locale (ANSI_X3.4-1968) is not supported!

Solved updating the locale (as of wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale) to an UTF-8 compliant one (why the heck UTF8 is not enforced at installation time? We're in 2016 and MS/DOS is not used anymore...). Now Gnome-Terminal works.

#9 2016-01-29 20:07:13

Zatael

I have my locale set to UTF-8 and still no working gnome-terminal for me.

I'll try the dbus-launch fix when I get home to see if that works.

EDIT:
Hey guys, I tweaked the dbus fix a little to give a little more permanent approach
instead of launching gnome-terminal with dbus, I thought maybe I could do that with
the entire gnome-session process. So I modified my .xinitrc to the following:

exec dbus-launch gnome-session

works like a charm. gnome-terminal now runs without a hitch

Last edited by Zatael (2016-01-30 05:27:36)

#10 2016-03-30 15:36:30

onkehh

Zatael wrote:

I have my locale set to UTF-8 and still no working gnome-terminal for me.

I'll try the dbus-launch fix when I get home to see if that works.

EDIT:
Hey guys, I tweaked the dbus fix a little to give a little more permanent approach
instead of launching gnome-terminal with dbus, I thought maybe I could do that with
the entire gnome-session process. So I modified my .xinitrc to the following:

exec dbus-launch gnome-session

works like a charm. gnome-terminal now runs without a hitch

Just chiming in to say this fixed it for me also, and it wasn't just Terminal either, gedit (maybe others?) were having the same issue.  Presumably to do with the way we are starting the Gnome session via startx (no gdm installed) - anyway appending "dbus-launch" before gnome-session fixed it right up.

Board footer