You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-20 03:07:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

Brother 1440 printer in USB mode with enscript

Trying to run a brother 1440 laser printer through usb with the HPlaserjet driver.

Was able to print the cups test page, but I had no luck with enscript when attempting to translate plain text to postscript and printing same..

Usblp is enabled and lsmod lists the brother printer.

Perhaps I am missing the boat somewhere.

I use KDE to manage the printer.

I employed the command line:  enscript  (plain text file)....  as root...

It replies with i:  1 page sent to brother (name of printer)

Printer does not receive data.

Permissions?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2006-04-28 05:27:50

jskier
Website

Re: Brother 1440 printer in USB mode with enscript

I have the same printer but use the foomatic drivers. I followed the instructions here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print … er-HL-1440

I tried the HP drivers but had no luck myself, hopefully this works for you.

--
JSkier

#3 2006-04-28 19:17:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

Using KDE setup I employed the foomatic hl1250.ppd and was able to print a test file.

The margins are not correct so I have more sleuthing to do.

I cannot print the test file except by using the "KEEP" mode, the test file is in plain text.

Using the "KEEP" file allows the full file of three pages to print but margins are incorrect.

Trying to print normally from desktop the text file of the same "test" file, I cannot print although the DATA LED lights for a short duration.  KDE error indicates I must convert and lists a number of options.  I assume it is asking for a postscript format or some such.

I may not have KDE setup correctly.

Some progress.......

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2006-04-29 15:21:14

jskier
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Using KDE setup I employed the foomatic hl1250.ppd and was able to print a test file.

The margins are not correct so I have more sleuthing to do.

I cannot print the test file except by using the "KEEP" mode, the test file is in plain text.

Using the "KEEP" file allows the full file of three pages to print but margins are incorrect.

Trying to print normally from desktop the text file of the same "test" file, I cannot print although the DATA LED lights for a short duration.  KDE error indicates I must convert and lists a number of options.  I assume it is asking for a postscript format or some such.

I may not have KDE setup correctly.

Some progress.......

Ya sounds like something is up with the KDE end. I found that installing most of the printing drivers/utils seemed to cover all the bases.

As for the margins, the only time I had to set them was in Firefox otherwise they were defaulted at way too big and stuff goes off the page.

You're getting closer, thats a good sign big_smile

--
JSkier

Board footer