You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-26 19:23:08

TriforceOfKirby

[SOLVED] WiFi setup prior to installation

EDIT: So I need to install broadcom-wl during the installation of Arch Linux so that I have a working internet connection. I am able download files on to a USB drive, but I'm unsure how to install the package this way as I'm still new to Arch Linux. Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this?

Last edited by TriforceOfKirby (2016-02-01 07:07:05)

#2 2016-01-27 10:10:29

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] WiFi setup prior to installation

@TriforceOfKirby,

sorry I edited your post by accident. I meant to reply. Please edit your post and ask your question again.

Sorry for the trouble.

#3 2016-01-27 16:25:56

TriforceOfKirby

x33a wrote:

@TriforceOfKirby,

sorry I edited your post by accident. I meant to reply. Please edit your post and ask your question again.

Sorry for the trouble.

No problem; I have a slightly different question as I know what I need to do now, but I just don't know how to do it.

#4 2016-01-27 19:38:35

atomicbeef

According to the Broadcom Wireless article on the wiki, you're going to want to install broadcom-wl-dkms from the AUR. The only problem is that the Arch live CD doesn't include a compiler, so you'll have to build the package from the AUR on another Arch machine. This article should help you get started with the AUR. If you don't have another machine with Arch on it to build from the AUR, I can build the package for you and give you a link.

Once you have the package built, you can install it with

pacman -U [packagename.pkg.tar.xz]

To learn more about Arch and pacman, I would suggest you read the pacman man page.

Last edited by atomicbeef (2016-01-27 19:53:44)

#5 2016-01-27 20:03:42

ayekat

You can install a compiler on the live system, though (if there's enough RAM):

mount -o remount,size=1G /run/archiso/cowspace
pacman -Syu base-devel git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/broadcom-wl-dkms
cd broadcom-wl-dkms
makepkg
# and so on...

The problem is it's a DKMS-package, and I don't know how they work.

EDIT atomicbeef is right, you'd need internet first to get this working

Last edited by ayekat (2016-01-27 20:52:35)

pkgshackscfgblag

#6 2016-01-27 20:36:24

atomicbeef

It is possible to install a compiler on the live system, but from what I have gathered the OP doesn't have a working internet connection at install time so he would have to put the 25 packages included in the base-devel group onto a USB and install them. He wouldn't need git if he downloaded the PKGBUILD from the AUR and he could avoid some manual dependencies by using the broadcom-wl AUR package instead of the DKMS version.

If all of this seems like too much work, you can also install Arch from another live CD such as the Ubuntu live CD (which will probably have the driver you need for your wireless card to card included) by following the procedure outlined in this article.

#7 2016-01-28 03:25:08

TriforceOfKirby

atomicbeef wrote:

According to the Broadcom Wireless article on the wiki, you're going to want to install broadcom-wl-dkms from the AUR. The only problem is that the Arch live CD doesn't include a compiler, so you'll have to build the package from the AUR on another Arch machine. This article should help you get started with the AUR. If you don't have another machine with Arch on it to build from the AUR, I can build the package for you and give you a link.

Once you have the package built, you can install it with

pacman -U [packagename.pkg.tar.xz]

To learn more about Arch and pacman, I would suggest you read the pacman man page.

If you could build that package for me that would be great. Are you sure I should use the dkms version of the package?

#8 2016-01-28 03:27:59

TriforceOfKirby

atomicbeef wrote:

It is possible to install a compiler on the live system, but from what I have gathered the OP doesn't have a working internet connection at install time so he would have to put the 25 packages included in the base-devel group onto a USB and install them. He wouldn't need git if he downloaded the PKGBUILD from the AUR and he could avoid some manual dependencies by using the broadcom-wl AUR package instead of the DKMS version.

If all of this seems like too much work, you can also install Arch from another live CD such as the Ubuntu live CD (which will probably have the driver you need for your wireless card to card included) by following the procedure outlined in this article.

Actually when I installed Ubuntu it didn't have the driver included either, I had to install it from a .deb.

#9 2016-01-28 21:46:45

TriforceOfKirby

I was able to install Arch Linux in a virtual machine and compile the package and install it on the live USB. I believe everything is working now. I'll mark the thread as solved when I have successfully installed Arch Linux to my hard drive.

Last edited by TriforceOfKirby (2016-01-28 21:47:16)

Board footer