You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-30 18:46:36

Bjarno

[SOLVED] Fan running at full speed on Asus N752VX

Hello

I've just installed Arch Linux on my new laptop (an Asus N752VX-GC086T). The installation went quite smoothly compared to my previous installations I did on my desktop and my older laptop (only one rookie mistake this time). However, a few seconds after booting from USB (while I was installing), the fan of my laptop makes a lot of noise, and the cold air waves past my hands. I googled in order to have some clues on how to fix this, but after trying some methods (which all failed), I just followed the beginner's guide for the third time and installed Arch Linux to my SSD, without any other problems.

Once I'm in my installed system, I tried setting up lm_sensors, but after detecting hardware, nothing changes. I'm quite a rookie when talking about hardware and Linux, and never had to change files to handle files/cpu/sensors yet, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this, a little help can be welcome.

It's a default installation of Arch Linux, following the beginners' guide (thus only installing base, base-devel) on UEFI. I've not yet created my own user, or installed any window manager/desktop environment. I've installed it alongside Windows, but I don't think this is related in any way. Windows has no problems with the fan, so it is related to something in Linux.

Below, the general information of my system I thought that could be usefull:

/proc/cpuinfo
http://pastebin.com/HdR5MBFG

#sensors
http://pastebin.com/4MP9zq1J

Edit:
I've also checked for any settings in the UEFI setup concerning fan speeds, but I found none.

Edit2:
Just tried this (https://github.com/nicolai-rostov/asus-fancontrol), fan immediatly "stops" after running, but resumes at 100% after less then 1/2 second.

Edit3:
It seems to be solved after installing 'nvidia'. If only I get Minecraft working trough bumblebee now.

Edit4 (for completeness):
Had to remove some X11 files in order to get X working, was trying to run Minecraft trough Wayland, but lwjgl does not support wayland. Thus resulting in an LWJGLException (no modes availables). Trying it on X worked flawless. It had nothing to do with Bumblebee, just X11 having wrong settings for Bumblebee, making it impossible to run X, but not Wayland.

Last edited by Bjarno (2016-01-31 16:57:39)

#2 2016-03-09 21:01:34

Xwang

Re: [SOLVED] Fan running at full speed on Asus N752VX

Does hdmi and display port work to connect an external monitor?
Is nvidia necessary to do that?

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#3 2016-03-30 20:18:04

Xwang

I have the same pc and I have the same fan speed issue.
Moreover it apparently hangs every time I reboot or shutdown.
Do you have the same issue too?

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#4 2016-03-31 18:50:52

Xwang

Today after disabling VT-d from BIOS the fan has stopped to run at full speed.
Still it hangs at Reached target shutdown.

Board footer