You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-31 21:11:46

arch_unreciprocated

Failed Live USB boot - ATA Errors

Hey guys,

When I try to boot a Live USB for archlinux-2016.01.01-dual.iso, I'm getting an error that I'm guessing are associated with the SDD. These appear after "Booting the Kernel... Triggering uevents":

[   16.895623] ata3: exception Emask 0x52 SAct 0x0 SErr 0xffffffff action 0xe
[   16.895625] ata3: SError: { RecovData RecovComm UnrecovData Persist Proto HostInt PHYRdyChg PHYInt CommWake 10B8B Dispar BadCRC Handshk LinkSeq TrStaTrns UnrecFIS DevExch }

That is displayed three times, once for ata1, ata2, and ata3. Any idea what the source of these errors are? They appear for UEFI and Legacy boots, and I've tried the different SATA operation configurations present in BIOS (Disabled / AHCI / RAID On). The errors only appear when I use RAID On, otherwise I don't see anything at all. My hardware information is below:

Intel i7-6500U with Skylake Integrated Graphics
M.2 PCIe SSD-0 ( listed as /dev/nvme0n1 )

Let me know if there's any other information that would be useful in diagnosing this.
Thanks for any help!

#2 2016-02-13 22:16:50

paulkerry

Re: Failed Live USB boot - ATA Errors

That sounds like some kind of controller issue in your machine, although it's hard to help you further unless you give us more details like which motherboard you are using and if you are actually require the use of raid or not.

Also don't forget to search before posting: for instance I found https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=174335 which appears to be the same thing, although that topic is related to SATA SSD's rather than PCIe as you mention.

Other things to consider are a possible SSD firmware upgrade and/or a motherboard BIOS upgrade.

After all of that, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by paulkerry (2016-02-13 22:23:02)

Board footer