You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-01 19:27:26

gnunn

[Solved] Can't load Luks/LVM home partition

I bought a new laptop and to save myself the effort of doing a new install I simply removed my SSD from the old laptop and put it in the new one. I re-configured rEFInd to boot the arch linux install on that SSD and it boots up fine, I type in my password for the LUKs partition and it continues to the point where it needs to mount the home partition and then fails. The home partition is in the LUKs partition along with root as one one volume group and two logical volumes (/ and /home). When it fails, it gives the following message:

Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-f952bb88\x2def48\x2db592\x2dc640621856b0.device

I think the issue is that systemd is having issues starting LVM for some reason as I also see the following messages before this failure:

lvm2-lvmetad.socket: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit lvm2-lvmetad.socket is masked.
dm-event.socket: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit dm-event.socket is masked.
cups.socket: cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit cups.socket failed to load: No such file or directory
cups.path: cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit cups.path failed to load: No such file or directory
lvm2-lvmetad.socket: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Invalid request descriptor

I can mount the two volumes with no issue on a separate bare bones Arch install I have on this laptop. I was thinking of doing an arch-chroot and trying to reinstall LVM to see if that clears up the problem, but the fact that three socket services are failing are making me wonder if it could be related to networking at all?

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what the issue is?

Last edited by gnunn (2016-02-01 21:06:35)

#2 2016-02-01 20:53:51

clfarron4
Website

Re: [Solved] Can't load Luks/LVM home partition

I think the partition layout would be helpful here. Post the output of

lsblk -f

and the contents of /etc/fstab please.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2016-02-01 21:06:19

gnunn

Re: [Solved] Can't load Luks/LVM home partition

Found the problem, it's a newer Broadwell laptop and I had some kernel panics because of that over the weekend until I updated the BIOS from the vendor. I guess the last round of panics corrupted a bunch of files as various lvm files were 0 byte files instead of having content. Re-installing that package plus a few more to correct additional corrupted files fixed the issue. Most annoying.

Board footer