You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-21 04:16:08

Galdona

openbox--fitt's law

is there a way to make the titlebar buttons in openbox reach all the way the the edge/corner of the screen when the window is maximized, so that i can just "ram" the pointer into the corner and click to close a window, without thinking about placement of the cursor?

currently i have to maneuver slightly to close a maximized window with the mouse.

i tried these in themerc file but it does not work like i thought it would:

borderWidth: 0
padding.width: 0
window.handle.width: 0
window.client.padding.width: 0

any help?

(offtopic, fbpanel is the same problem, the taskbar buttons dont reach all the way to the edge, why did the dev do that?? --im using pypanel though)

#2 2006-04-21 06:16:58

postlogic
Website

Re: openbox--fitt's law

Many developers look at this as a feature. Because if you "ram" the cursor, like you said, up in the corner, perhaps with the intention of moving it to the maximize button or similar, most people don't wanna close their window.

It's no fun having worked with a script in a console window, forgetting to save, and then closing the entire file.

#3 2006-04-21 13:09:08

Galdona

so what im thinking cannot be done with openbox, you say?

im not saying what i want should be the default, only that i would have liked openbox to be configurable in that respect.

oh, its to bad, i was thinking i would use openbox, but its the lack of little features like that that will make me not use a program...

i guess i should try to learn fvwm... smile

#4 2006-04-21 16:06:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I would love to have such a feature... maybe not with the close button, but of course, you don't have to put the close button right in the corner for the more configurable window managers. I'm not sure if its possbile to do what you want in any of them though.

I do know, once I tried to put titlebars at the bottom of the window so that menubars would have the infinite dimension (like apple), but it appears that the silly toolkits (qt, gtk, et al) put a one or two pixel border around menubars. How irritating is that, may I ask!? ;-)

Dusty

#5 2006-04-21 16:26:43

Galdona

yes, that is the word... inifinite! i wanted buttons at the edge of the screen should feel as if it extends 'infinitely'...

(yes, that one pixel around the menus makes a lot of difference)

that is an interesting idea you have, i always liked apple's menus, it always bothered me that the titlebar took so much space at the top..

btw, i saw your posts about litestep, i also used to use litestep, i loved it, i even made my own theme, with my own graphics even...i liked rainmeter and rainlendar as well...

so im now trying to learn fvwm but it seems much more involved and difficult than litestep.

Board footer