You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-08 11:24:01

awal

Can we upgrade packages on a custom LiveCD in place?

Lets say I create a custom LiveCD as described at [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … g_packages], (how) can I update the packages on the disk in-place?

Example:
- My LiveCD contains the package i3 version 4.11
- I burn the ISO to a USB drive (and the USB drive has enough space needed for updates like a regular install)
- i3 4.5 is released a couple days later
- I boot into a random PC with that USB, and wish to upgrade i3, such that next time I boot in another random PC with the same USB, i3 is i3 4.5 and not i3 4.11.

I understand that live disks store things on a squash fs file which is extracted on boot and changes don't persist normally. But I was wondering if either Archiso (or any other tool) allows me to do this. i.e., upgrade packages within the live medium, and update the disk versions (either on demand, or automatically).

Last edited by awal (2016-02-08 11:24:51)

#2 2016-02-08 12:00:24

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Can we upgrade packages on a custom LiveCD in place?

I don't think it is possible, but wait for other people's answers. On the other hand, this seems like a perfect candidate for doing a *normal* install on the USB drive.

#3 2016-02-08 12:19:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Can we upgrade packages on a custom LiveCD in place?

awal wrote:

- I burn the ISO to a USB drive (and the USB drive has enough space needed for updates like a regular install)

No, it will have no remaining space.  The iso filesystem is only as big as it's contents.  You could, perhaps at least in theory, boot from the iso, update packages (provided there is enough space in the machine's ram not on the use drive) and then from that system in ram generate a brand new iso and write it to the usb drive.  But you really wouldn't be updating the current iso, you'd create an entirely new one to overwrite the old one with.

But if this is your goal, why on earth would you want an iso filesystem?  Just do a regular install on the usb drive.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer