You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-09 16:34:40

zacariaz

[resolved] BIOS update through wine

Hello.

Got an Asus Zenbook ux305 and I'd rather like to update the BIOS. The problem being, of course, that Asus only provide a windows executable. I've been talking with their support department, but they don't seem to care much.

This of course leaves me with one or two last options. I suppose I could get hold on windows, somehow, created a live USB and update through that, or do it through wine.

As always I'm ranting too much.
In short, would it at all be possible to run such an update through wine, and wold it in any sense of the for be safe?

Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

Best regards.

Last edited by zacariaz (2016-02-09 17:31:41)

I am a philosopher, of sorts, not a troll or an imbecile.
My apologies that this is not always obvious, despite my best efforts.

#2 2016-02-09 16:45:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [resolved] BIOS update through wine

I would not even consider doing it through wine.

You might try freedos,  assuming this is not a windows application, but rather is a cli program that only needs DOS.  YMMV

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-02-09 16:50:14

zacariaz

ewaller wrote:

You might try freedos,  assuming this is not a windows application, but rather is a cli program that only needs DOS.  YMMV

As I expected, but I had to ask.

I'm quite sure we're talking a windows applications here.

I don't suppose there's any hope of extracting the raw bios update from the executable?

#4 2016-02-09 16:53:19

alphaniner

Seconded. It will require some research and possibly another machine running Windows, but you may be able to use Windows PE.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2016-02-09 17:14:26

Docbroke

either get bios executable (which is not available in your case) or get a windows copy, there is no other option. You may do a temporary install of windows on a spare partition, update bios and bye bye windows.

#6 2016-02-09 17:19:38

zacariaz

Docbroke wrote:

either get bios executable (which is not available in your case) or get a windows copy, there is no other option. You may do a temporary install of windows on a spare partition, update bios and bye bye windows.

Ya, I guess so.

#7 2016-02-09 17:26:44

ewaller
Administrator

Are the instructions for this similar machine applicable to yours? http://www.manualslib.com/manual/324965 … ml?page=70

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2016-02-09 17:31:19

zacariaz

ewaller wrote:

Are the instructions for this similar machine applicable to yours? http://www.manualslib.com/manual/324965 … ml?page=70

No I'm afraid not, the problem being that the correct BIOS format is not available.

Thanks for the effort though.

#9 2016-02-28 05:24:57

WFV

Does the bios of the Asus laptop not have a tab for updating the bios from within the BIOS? I have an Asus destkop and have updated the bios three times since original purchase and never had to use Windows to update bios (pc never had Windows on metal, only in virtualbox). Asus has a dos app called "bupdater" that can be installed on a usb, also download the dos executable bios to same usb, then boot into bios. And right, Asus tech support won't help you if you install linux, they won't help you if you install hardware that isn't in their qvl either, but as long as your bios has the tab for updating bios, your don't need Windows installed. If you absolutely have to use Windows, you can update the bios during the unregistered grace period, then return Windows and $ave a few bucks (been there done that with some non-linux pc's).
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS- … _Download/

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer