You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-22 22:00:58

Neuro

Yet another file system benchmark

Just read this a second ago:
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388

It seems that after all XFS is the best thing out there. Anyone's using it on daily basis?

#2 2006-04-22 22:55:26

Gullible Jones

Re: Yet another file system benchmark

I'm going to go with what Iphitus said on OSNews and complain that some tables would really be nice... roll

Anyway, FWIW, what they say at the end about XFS looks bogus in my experience...

It uses the maximum capacity of your server hard disk(s)

So can any other FS if you want it to, some reserve more space than others by default.

It is the quickest FS to create, mount and unmount

Quickest to create with default settings, but creation time increases with journal size. Mount time is a bit longer than for JFS or ext3, and also goes up (very rapidly!) with journal size. Unmount time is about the same as ReiserFS, i.e. rather slow.

It is the quickest FS for operations on large files (>500Mb)

Well that's true, that's what it was made for.

This FS gets a good second place for operations on a large number of small to moderate-size files and directories

Uh huh... Then why are pacman and portage so unbelievably goddamn slow with it? I have seriously waited for several minutes while my HDD was spinning away under XFS, while ReiserFS or JFS gets stuff done in five seconds. From what I've seen filesystems rank something like this for large numbers of small files:

1. ReiserFS
2. JFS
3. ext3 (indexed, but indexing should always be used)
4. XFS.

Haven't tried Reiser4 yet but it looks like it would perform about the same as JFS.

It constitutes a good CPU vs time compromise for large directory listing or file search

Last I checked, JFS was a lot better here.

It is not the least CPU demanding FS but its use of system ressources is quite acceptable for older generation hardware

It's not that hard on the CPU, but judging from the noises I've heard HDDs make when using XFS, I would not use it on an older IDE drive!

Of course, this is before the massive bundle of XFS patches that comes with kernel 2.6.17 - no telling how that will affect XFS performance.

#3 2006-04-22 23:50:32

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I think gullible jones should create his own filesystem that combines the best of all worlds from XFS, JFS, ext3 and reiserfs and call it GFS. Maybe even an option to bake a cake on the check disk utilities would be nice

gfsck --check --pacman-optimize --java-optimize --bake-cake=chocolate

#4 2006-05-18 07:43:24

mclang

I'm have used XFS on my computer about two years. I choose it for I mainly have big data files on that disk. No problems so far, but I can't compare the speed though...

Probably my next drive will have ext3 with tweaks by codergeek42.

Duettaeánn aef cirrán Cáerme Gláeddyv. Yn á esseáth.

#5 2006-05-18 10:51:41

Gullible Jones

Penguin wrote:

I think gullible jones should create his own filesystem that combines the best of all worlds from XFS, JFS, ext3 and reiserfs and call it GFS. Maybe even an option to bake a cake on the check disk utilities would be nice

gfsck --check --pacman-optimize --java-optimize --bake-cake=chocolate

lol

#6 2006-05-18 13:36:19

iBertus

I prefer to envoke it like this:

gfsck --check --pacman-optimize --screw-java --make-tacos=spicy --make-dessert=flan

#7 2006-05-18 21:48:12

Gullible Jones

How about:

gfsck --c-to-cyclone --fsecurity=invulnerable --enable-god-mode --wedgie-bush --blaspheme-loudly --make-ftl-drive=all --mod-flash-nopopups --slim-gecko --fliposuction=java --chroot-jail-idiots --yog-sothoth --fshutup=limbaugh --stfu --rtfm --fsck-up-now --thank-you

#8 2006-05-19 02:38:06

iBertus

Looks like the tacos were too spicy for my second hard drive. I'm hearing the click of death :-(

Board footer