You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-15 17:57:28

ubootfanat

XRite Colormunki and Gnome Settings Deamon

Hi there,

After years of ubuntu, I am new to arch an love it so far. However, Arch was not able to fix my display calibration issues (yet?). I feel a lot closer, though.

*My Setup*
fresh Arch install from a few days ago
Surface Pro 3
x-rite colormunki Display

Here is the issue: I am using Gnome Shell. Gnome Shell comes with this handy and clean calibration tool well embedded in the gnome-control-center. Argyllcms is installed.

*What does work*
I attach my colormunki to an arbitrary USB port and the gnome-control-center pops up. I can click the "calibrate" button and I am able to fight my way through the wizard. It even tells me to position the measuring device on the shown spot. I click the "start" button.

*Issue*
The software tells me that an unrecoverable error occured and that I can remove the device. I had the very same behaviour on my ubuntu 14.10 (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2253886 for reference). However, Arch lets me see a lot more deeply into what is going on. And it seems that the issues might not be the same anyhow.

*Details*
So here is an excerpt of the journal as I see it while being logged in with an unprivileged user:

kernel: usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 26 using xhci_hcd
kernel: hid-generic 0003:0765:5020.0015: hiddev0,hidraw3: USB HID v1.11 Device [X-Rite, Inc. ColorMunki Display] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1.4/input0
dbus-daemon[7992]: Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ColorHelper'
dbus-daemon[7992]: Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ColorHelper'
gnome-session[7981]: Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
gnome-session[7981]: (gnome-control-center:8418): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: Failed to resize window: failed to find output eDP1
colord[865]: (colord:865): Cd-WARNING **: the child exited with return code 1
gnome-session[7981]: (gnome-control-center:8418): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: calibration failed with code 1: spotread exited unexpectedly
colord[865]: (colord:865): Cd-WARNING **: no child pid to kill!
gnome-session[649]: (gnome-settings-daemon:804): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to set screen _ICC_PROFILE: Failed to open file '/home/me/.local/share/icc/edid-df261155887e60481f3c52a2f9831a79.icc': Permission denied
gnome-session[7981]: (gnome-control-center:8418): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: failed to start calibrate: failed to calibrate

spiced up by a few:

gnome-session[7981]: (gnome-control-center:8418): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/icc/edid-709ad510761e0a4935d7e52933f3d2b9.icc is not usable by this user

and I do not have any idea why these profiles are located in /var/lib.

But as to not waste time by these hickups I tried the process as root. When I do the very same as root I do get the exact same output except for the last line being:

gnome-session[7202]: (gnome-control-center:7610): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: failed to start calibrate: failed to get output

an of course none of the permission denied stuff.

seeing that spotread exited unexpectedly i tried it myself and it works:

root@meins ~ # spotread

Place instrument on spot to be measured,
and hit [A-Z] to read white and setup FWA compensation (keyed to letter)
[a-z] to read and make FWA compensated reading from keyed reference
'r' to set reference, 's' to save spectrum,
'f' to report cal. refresh rate, 'F' to measure refresh rate
'h' to toggle high res., 'k' to do a calibration
Hit ESC or Q to exit, any other key to take a reading: a

Unable to apply FWA compensation because it wasn't set up

Result is XYZ: 12.862128 11.728538 3.969710, D50 Lab: 40.781381 10.729466 25.151967

Place instrument on spot to be measured,
[...]

eDP1 is the buildin display btw:

root@meins ~ # xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2160 x 2640, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected 2160x1440+0+1200 inverted (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 254mm x 169mm
   2160x1440     59.95*+  47.99  

*Questions*
Now, since I am not that familiar with Arch yet, I cannot think of anything else I could try. Are there any other logs I can consult that I should know of? Any tools that can help me find the cause of the issue?

Thanks in advance!
ubootfanat

#2 2016-02-16 18:13:05

ubootfanat

Re: XRite Colormunki and Gnome Settings Deamon

Hi there,

I think I have some new findings.

I tried the manual process of calibrating my display with gnome. Namely https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IC … s#Manually and found a quite interesting behaviour.

First, that it works as an unprivileged user as it should.

me@meins ~ % gcm-calibrate --device "xrandr-Seiko Epson Corporation" -v

Verbose debugging enabled (on console 1)
lights! camera! action!
copying from /usr/share/gnome-color-manager/ti1/display-short.ti1 to /home/me/.config/gnome-color-manager/calibration/....ti1
found eDP1 mapped to 1
running /usr/bin/dispcal  /usr/bin/dispcal  -v  -ql  -m  -t6500  -d1  -yl  -P 0.5,0.5,0.6,1.0  GCM - Microsoft - Surface Pro 3 - unknown (2016-02-16) [17-47-38]
[...]

note the line "found eDP1 mapped to 1".

Now, as root, that does not work:

root@meins /home/me # gcm-calibrate --device "xrandr-Seiko Epson Corporation" -v
Verbose debugging enabled (on console 1)
lights! camera! action!

(gcm-calibrate:2161): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
copying from /usr/share/gnome-color-manager/ti1/display-short.ti1 to /root/.config/gnome-color-manager/calibration/....ti1
failed to calibrate: failed to match display

after copying the process info ...ti1, there is no "found display" but a "failed to match display".

Hence, I compared the output of "colormgr get-devices" for root and the unprivileged user:
root:

root@meins ~ % colormgr get-devices
Object Path:   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/xrandr_Seiko_Epson_Corporation_gdm_120
Owner:         gdm
[...]
Device ID:     xrandr-Seiko Epson Corporation
[...]
Metadata:      XRANDR_name=eDP32
[...]

Object Path:   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/xrandr_Seiko_Epson_Corporation_me_1000
Owner:         me
[...]
[...]
Metadata:      XRANDR_name=eDP1
[...]

unpriviledged user:

me@meins ~ % colormgr get-devices
Object Path:   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/xrandr_Seiko_Epson_Corporation_me_1000
Owner:         me
[...]
[...]
Metadata:      XRANDR_name=eDP1
[...]

that explains why I do get double entries in the gui when logged on as root. And it might explain why "gcm-calibrate" run as root cannot find the display while running the same as unprivileged user does.

Finally, starting the gnome-control-center in verbose mode gives me:

e@meins ~ % gnome-control-center -v
** (gnome-control-center:5744): DEBUG: Enabling debugging
(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-DEBUG: device selected
(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-DEBUG: selected device is: xrandr-Seiko Epson Corporation
[...]
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-DEBUG: System inhibitor fd is 15

(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: Failed to resize window: failed to find output eDP1
(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-DEBUG: Interaction required type 0: attach the sensor to the screen
(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-DEBUG: showing image /usr/share/colord/icons/i1-display3-attach.svg

(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: calibration failed with code 1: spotread exited unexpectedly

(gnome-control-center:5744): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: failed to start calibrate: failed to calibrate

where the "failed to find output DP1" is issued right before the fullscreen "place your measuring device" window is displayed - on the wrong display.

Could there be a slight chance that the whole calibration process is simply performed by the "wrong" user? gdm for example? Any ideas?

#3 2016-09-25 08:40:25

Moo-Crumpus

Re: XRite Colormunki and Gnome Settings Deamon

Same here: color manager does not work. But

(gnome-control-center:4430): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/icc/edid-6f67d859c0f4d72c2e2ef35387a60d93.icc is not usable by this user

(gnome-control-center:4430): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: calibration failed with code 1: spotread exited unexpectedly

(gnome-control-center:4430): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/icc/edid-6f67d859c0f4d72c2e2ef35387a60d93.icc is not usable by this user

(gnome-control-center:4430): color-cc-panel-WARNING **: failed to start calibrate: failed to calibrate

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer