You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-24 09:21:31

sebcactus

Provides() and conflicts(), a practical problem

Hello everybody,

I have some questions about the provides() and conflicts() fields of some packages.

Here are 2 packages I put on AUR recently: eo-snapshot, eo-cvs
I am thinking of removing eo-snapshot but it can be good to keep it for people who don't have access to CVS.
In this case eo-snapshot and eo-cvs will conflict. Once a new, working, stable version of eo will be out, I (or anybody) will probably make a package (called eo).

So I am thinking of using the fields provides=('eo') for both packages, and conflicts=('eo-snapshot') or ('eo-cvs')
Is it the right thing to do ?

An other question about other packages: galib, libge.
libge can use galib if it is compiled with galib support, so should I make a libge-galib version (with galib in makedepends) or put a comment somewhere (where) that asks the user to install galib before building libge to enable the galib support ?

An other one:
eo-cvs(or eo-snapshot) and galib both provide a /usr/lib/libga.a file, so they conflict with one another. Is there any workaround to install both?

#2 2006-04-25 15:31:50

sebcactus

Re: Provides() and conflicts(), a practical problem

Up!

#3 2006-04-25 18:39:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

I've been meaning to get back to you on this since our other thread - sorry for the delay.

marmotte wrote:

So I am thinking of using the fields provides=('eo') for both packages, and conflicts=('eo-snapshot') or ('eo-cvs')
Is it the right thing to do ?

Yeah, that sounds good.

marmotte wrote:

An other question about other packages: galib, libge.
libge can use galib if it is compiled with galib support, so should I make a libge-galib version (with galib in makedepends) or put a comment somewhere (where) that asks the user to install galib before building libge to enable the galib support ?

Don't make two packages - that's messy. Put the details above in an AUR comment when you submit the PKGBUILD.

marmotte wrote:

An other one:
eo-cvs(or eo-snapshot) and galib both provide a /usr/lib/libga.a file, so they conflict with one another. Is there any workaround to install both?

I don't know anything about these packages, so the following advice is basic file conflict stuff, but libga.a looks like it belongs in galib, not eo. Could you delete it from eo, and make eo depend on galib?

#4 2006-04-26 10:17:07

sebcactus

up

Board footer