You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-21 22:50:20

etakeh32
Member
From: Pridnestrovie
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 66

[SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

Dear community,

After last kernel update I encountered this error:

ERROR: Failed to open encryption mapping: The device [...] is not a LUKS volume and the crypto= parameter was not specified.

Immediately tried downgrade, same issue. Tried stock kernel, same issue. Double-checked mkinitcpio.conf, everything was correct.

In the end I figured out that it was caused by me rebuilding cryptsetup via ABS. I chrooted and installed cryptsetup via pacman, reran mkinitcpio and issue was resolved. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by etakeh32 (2016-02-23 05:06:35)

Offline

#2 2016-02-21 22:59:31

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

Thanks for posting the solution.

Is there a problem with the current PKGBUILD, or was it due to your own modifications and/or makepkg settings (e.g. CFLAGS)? If the former, consider opening a bug report.


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#3 2016-02-21 23:05:19

etakeh32
Member
From: Pridnestrovie
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 66

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

I used aura -Mx, therefore I assume the standard PKGBUILD was used. I do have makepkg set to use march=native and ccache, no other mods.

When I ran pacman -S cryptsetup, it did notify me that the cached package (/var/cache/pacman/pkg/) was invalid or corrupted (PGP signature), but I think that's because aura copies the compiled package over.

I also remember that after boot failed and I got kicked into the emergency console, I tried to run cryptsetup luksOpen and it failed with a reference to a lib???.so file missing or similar.

Should I try to build cryptsetup again and see if I can recreate and confirm there is an issue with the PKGBUILD?

Last edited by etakeh32 (2016-02-22 04:46:48)

Offline

#4 2016-02-21 23:44:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#5 2016-02-22 04:42:47

etakeh32
Member
From: Pridnestrovie
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 66

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

Hi Jason,

Thanks - I was actually trying to be helpful, just wasn't exactly sure how to best go about it. I updated the abs tree, recompiled cryptsetup via makepkg and via aura, rerunning mkinitcpio each time. Could not reproduce the issue.

Offline

#6 2016-02-22 21:33:31

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

Thanks for the follow-up, etakeh32. If it's not reproducible then it was likely due to some transient error. It it works now then all is good and no further effort is required.


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#7 2016-02-22 23:57:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to open encryption mapping: not a LUKS volume and the

etakeh32 wrote:

Hi Jason,

Thanks - I was actually trying to be helpful, just wasn't exactly sure how to best go about it. I updated the abs tree, recompiled cryptsetup via makepkg and via aura, rerunning mkinitcpio each time. Could not reproduce the issue.

My bad: sorry. I had missed that line in your first post and thought that you had solved it but not shared it with the community. Carry on! smile


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB