You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-23 05:33:55

martvefun

Bad font rendering in many applications after wake

Hello,

Since a few days, when I wake my laptop from hibernation (laptop lid closed), the font rendering in GNOME (3.18) crashes and I have some missing letters in many applications.

See the following screenshot:  http://i.imgur.com/6DSjJAJ.png

This will happens in several GNOME applications and in Firefox too (not on all websites, if they use system fonts I guess). Not in Chrome so I am thinking it should be linked to GTK somehow (update: cf cryptkeeper's message, happens in XFCE too!).
Restarting GNOME (alt-F2, command 'r') does not solve it. Changing the fonts in GNOME Tweak will sometime (need to try several fonts), fix it. Rebooting works.
I was thinking about a issue in Cantarell but I got it too in my terminal (which use Monospace) and changing the font is a bit a random process.

Any idea?

Thanks

Last edited by martvefun (2016-02-23 08:46:52)

English is not my native language, sorry for the mistakes
Arch amd64, GNOME, Dell Vostro

#2 2016-02-23 08:33:41

cryptkeeper

Re: Bad font rendering in many applications after wake

Hi,

I've been experiencing almost the same issue since updating Arch ~1.5 weeks ago. I'm using Xfce4, and most of the time when resuming from suspend, all my fonts go missing! It hasn't happened after every resume, but more often than not. First, I see all the fonts, but as soon as I type, they disappear (e.g. in the terminal, the respective tmux panel just goes all white (the background color) and all I see is the cursor). Also all the fonts in the Xfce4 panel etc. are gone. As @martvefun, everything is back to normal after reboot (that is, until I suspend the system again)...

I'm running an up-to-date Arch on a ThinkPad 1440p.

Thanks!

PS: I hope it's okay if I just join this thread instead of starting a new one (which I was just about to do when I discovered this one), as I think it's very likely that we're talking about the same issue here.

#3 2016-03-07 05:34:35

martvefun

Hi,

I still got this issue.
@cryptkeeper did you find a solution?

#4 2016-03-08 05:08:19

ix7

This issue exists since over a year now that fonts are not rendered correctly after waking up from suspend.

It is somehow related to the intel graphics driver as switching to 'uxa' instead of 'sna' does not show this behaviour.

#5 2016-03-08 09:42:36

Venemo

If you search for 'sna text corruption' or similar terms, there are a bunch of people on the web that had suffered from this issue. Even though some bugreports claim that this is fixed, it still occours from time to time. Maybe it was accidentally reintroduced recently.

Here is a possible workaround:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/in … SNA_issues

#6 2016-03-08 16:50:39

martvefun

Thanks, I will try and let you know if I have this again

#7 2016-04-01 18:38:33

kiliantics

Here is some info from my experience that may help solving this. I use i3 as my windows manager but I needed to install some kde4 libraries as dependencies for okular. It was only after installing some packages related to this that I started having this problem where letters are missing in all my applications after I have suspended my laptop by closing it. I'm sort of a noob with arch so I haven't figured anything out beyond this and would appreciate if anyone has found a fix for this.

#8 2016-05-19 21:11:20

mmoya
Website

Same problem here on a MackBook Pro Retina late 2013.

Some stuff I've collected:

* This thread seems related.
* There is a solution here for Ubuntu.
* There is another solution here.

I've solve it by changing Fonts / Hinting to None in gnome-tweak-tool.

Board footer