You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-26 14:31:07

robster

[SOLVED] Refind bind

I decided to learn more about Arch so I decided to reinstall my arch installation using refind.

I did the refind-install --usedefault /dev/sda1 --alldrivers option and all seemed to go well. The report just noted I didn't have any 32 bit architecture loaded.

Tried to follow the path set out in the guide to check the setup of my refind.conf file, but it didn't exist.

Confirmed that /dev/sda1 is mounted on /boot/efi
bootx64.efi drivers_64 icons keys and refind.conf exist on /boot/efi/BOOT/.
no img files, the img files are all located on /boot/ on the system not on the mounted drive.
However, checking the refind.conf file as suggested in the guide, I found that refind has not amended the file at all. All is still stock standard disabled examples.
Unless I misread the guide, wasn't I supposed to check that what refind had done was correct or am I in totally the wrong directory.

So I don't know if refind has misfunctioned, it's no big deal to do the entries, but if refind has misfired something further up the chain could be missing and that's what I'm concerned about.

So if someone could advise me, it would be appreciated. Have been trying to solve this my self for the last 4 hours it's 1:30 am here.

Last edited by robster (2016-02-28 20:06:19)

Over 60 and very much a Linux newbie.

#2 2016-02-27 15:15:30

mcloaked

Re: [SOLVED] Refind bind

You really need to post the content of your refind.conf file, as well as any refind_linux.conf file and its location. Also where are your kernel img files?  Did you check your nvram entry, and did you try to boot once it was set up?  If you post plenty of information about the refind files and any configuration files then there may be enough to provide some help. At present there is not enough information to see where there might be a problem with your setup. Also qhich guide did you follow for setting it up?

Last edited by mcloaked (2016-02-27 15:16:14)

Mike C

#3 2016-02-28 07:12:50

robster

Thanks for the reply #mcloaked, I did reboot and I got the graphical login screen, but as there was no refind_linux.conf file it failed. Unfortunately I've rebuilt as a system-boot, but want to revisit refind at some stage.

Question: do you have to manually build the refind_linux.conf file, I thought the install script generated it and you only had to check the veracity of the file? (asked as none was generated for me)

Over 60 and very much a Linux newbie.

#4 2016-02-28 10:08:46

mcloaked

Copy /usr/share/refind/refind_linux.conf-sample to your /boot/ area and adapt it for your needs changing the file name to refind_linux.conf

Last edited by mcloaked (2016-02-28 10:09:33)

Mike C

Board footer