You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-28 11:55:02

GRG121

XFCE Thunar-volman USB auto-mount [SOLVED]

Hi, I've been using archlinux with XFCE4 for a month and I still mounting usbs manually cause I can't get thunar-volman to work...

I had read at the spanish arch-wiki that it need the hal daemon to work but, in this forum I read it's buggy and outdated... and that I have just to install jvfs (wich i've just install)...

I've read and read and try some differents ways that should have work but my PC still not mounting USBs...

could you help me?? I have no idea of what to do now...

Thanks sad

----------

Done.

to fix the problem :
-I have installed udisks2, which is not an alternative to thunar-volman but a dependence (it seems),
-I have remove the declaration of the usbs devices (/dev/sdb1 in my computer) of /etc/fstab.
-The last step is to follow all the rules here: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using- … _and_media

thank you all!

Last edited by GRG121 (2016-03-02 07:47:08)

#2 2016-02-28 12:22:14

Steef435
Website

Re: XFCE Thunar-volman USB auto-mount [SOLVED]

Thunar (and volman) indeed require gvfs to mount. If you have it installed, try rebooting and see if it works.

What do you mean by manual mount? Using mount from the command line?

#3 2016-02-28 13:42:55

GRG121

yes, I mean using mount from the command-line, and it works...

I want my computer to mount an USB when it is inserted...

Actually I dont understand what volman does... and where it mount the USB so.. maybe it is working and I don't know... I mean, when I insert an USB, no window nor notification appears and, if the USB is mounted, I can't found where.

What file should I modify in order to configure what thunar-volman do when an USB is inserted (?)

In my computer, usbs appear in /dev/sdb1, so I have maked a folder /mnt/usbstick where I mount /dev/sdb1... moreover, I edited the /etc/fstab file a few days ago and wrote:

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbstick vfat rw,noauto,async,user 0 0

I've tried to change "noauto" to "auto" but if I do the OS don't run...

should I change this line on /etc/fstab (?) I seem to remember I read about this but actually i'm not pretty sure if it is correct...

Thanks for answer!!

#4 2016-02-28 16:55:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

GRG121 wrote:

I've tried to change "noauto" to "auto" but if I do the OS don't run...

If the drive is removable then the "nofail" option is needed as well.

If you have the device defined in /etc/fstab then I don't think thunar-volman will attempt to mount them, that would require remounting the device to /media/user or wherever udisks2 uses.

#5 2016-03-01 11:03:38

GRG121

OK, i've tried to remove the device's definition on /etc/fstab and it doesn't work again... I think it can be a problem with thunar-volman dependencies but I have no idea of what it actually needs...

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar … nar-volman

Here, I can read that it need Dbus and Hal, but I cant make hal works and I have read that it is outdated and buggy... moreover, i've read at archwiki that thunar-volman is an ALTERNATIVE to udisks.. but you, Head_on_a_Stick, named it... so, plis, can somebody write more than two lines and help me telling what do thunal-volman actually need or at least where can I find updated information (?) 

I'm not an arch nor xfce expert, sorry if i'm asking too much...

cheers...

#6 2016-03-01 11:47:47

Docbroke

gvfs

In addition to thunar-volman you will need udisks2 & gvfs (optionally gvfs-mtp, gvfs-gphoto2, etc, check above link).

#7 2016-03-01 17:02:50

Steef435
Website

If you have gvfs properly installed (using pacman), you should see your stick list up under "Devices" on the left of a Thunar window (above "Places", where your favourite folders are listed, and "Network"). Open Thunar, plug in your drive and wait a bit to see if it shows up. If it does, we know Thunar is able to detect and mount devices (click on the device and it should mount). Please check and let us know.

EDIT: Also, the wiki appears to have an entry on large drives not mounting. What's the size capacity of your stick?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Th … nal_drives

Also, Thunar appears to hide partitions defined in fstab so make sure to remove your entry for the drive from there too and give it a reboot to be sure.

Last edited by Steef435 (2016-03-01 17:26:53)

#8 2016-03-01 19:36:15

GRG121

Docbroke wrote:

gvfs

In addition to thunar-volman you will need udisks2 & gvfs (optionally gvfs-mtp, gvfs-gphoto2, etc, check above link).

Ops.. I had installed udisks2 at first but then, thinking that it was no necessary, I have unintalled it so I've installed it again, reboot my computer and... yes, it works! my computer detects usb now...

thanks so much!!

Steef435, it seems that, the fisrts time I installed udisks2, it didnt work because  I had the partition defined in fstab... as I removed it thanks to Head_on_a_Stick, as soon as I've installed udisks my computer have started to automount usbs..

thank you all!!!

#9 2016-03-02 04:19:56

Docbroke

@GRG121, please mark this thread solved by editing your first post and prepending [solved] to the title
congrats.

Board footer