You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-29 16:37:14

XDroidie626

What can we use for DRM content instead of HAL?

So I have been doing some digging in regards to DRM content on my Linux box, I want it for a laptop thats coming.
So I understand HAL has been discontinued and while we can still use it I wouldn't ideally like to use software which is no longer maintained for security reasons.
So do we have something else we can use for video sites such as Play movies, Amazon Films etc.
Also what can we use instead of the old Flashlight for sites like NowTV? As for some reason they still insist on on using Silverlight.

As much as I would love to use HTML5 constantly websites I use don't support it.

Anything in repos that would work?

Thanks

#2 2016-02-29 17:11:46

ewaller
Administrator

Re: What can we use for DRM content instead of HAL?

It is still early here, so perhaps I am missing something.  What is the relationship of "Hardware Abstraction Layer" to "Digital Rights Management"?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-02-29 17:23:53

Gusar

ewaller wrote:

It is still early here, so perhaps I am missing something.  What is the relationship of "Hardware Abstraction Layer" to "Digital Rights Management"?

Flash requires HAL for its DRM stuff. However, there's now hal-flash, which reimplements just enough of HAL for this to work, so the full HAL isn't needed anymore.

@XDroidie626: Regarding flash, see above. For websites using silverlight, there's pipelight. For HTML5 websites (like Netflix), Chromium with the widevine plugin works. Also, Adobe will supposedly release Adobe Primetime for Linux, this will allow Netflix in Firefox (currently Adobe Primetime is only available on Windows).

#4 2016-02-29 17:56:56

ewaller
Administrator

I would never have guessed.  Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-03-01 08:53:13

XDroidie626

Gusar wrote:
ewaller wrote:

Flash requires HAL for its DRM stuff. However, there's now hal-flash, which reimplements just enough of HAL for this to work, so the full HAL isn't needed anymore.

@XDroidie626: Regarding flash, see above. For websites using silverlight, there's pipelight. For HTML5 websites (like Netflix), Chromium with the widevine plugin works. Also, Adobe will supposedly release Adobe Primetime for Linux, this will allow Netflix in Firefox (currently Adobe Primetime is only available on Windows).

Cant we run Netflix under firefox via HTML5 now? I do this on Windows because to be quite honest Chrome sucks for video, syncing issues all over.
While I will try the widevine plugin also, Pipelight I don't believe is still supported, I wouldn't mind running it still as its not difficult to setup but its the security aspect I am worried about (I use a lot of local/guest wifi).
Although I suppose a GR kernel /w VPN should do.

#6 2016-03-02 12:43:51

DarkCerberus
Banned

XDroidie626 wrote:
Gusar wrote:
ewaller wrote:

Cant we run Netflix under firefox via HTML5 now? I do this on Windows because to be quite honest Chrome sucks for video, syncing issues all over.
While I will try the widevine plugin also, Pipelight I don't believe is still supported, I wouldn't mind running it still as its not difficult to setup but its the security aspect I am worried about (I use a lot of local/guest wifi).
Although I suppose a GR kernel /w VPN should do.

Firefox should be netflix compatible but be warned - Netflix is at the moment doing a crackdown on those using netflix under VPN and blocking those users using VPN see the hyperlink http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ … ns-1315974

You should use netflix in the official way maybe through the Blu-Ray Toshiba players and other ways - however as for the HTML5 websites if flashplugin is installed alongside the updated firefox it should run fine like mine does.

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#7 2016-03-02 13:19:27

XDroidie626

Well does Windows have some sort of backend that allows firefox work with Netflix under HTML5, even when I run firefox with HTML5 it still says I am on an unsupported device.
I thought HTML5 was supposed to stop this for the most part.

#8 2016-03-02 14:17:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Netflix doesn't use "vanilla" HTML5, they require HTML5 with EME (Encrypted Media Extensions) which have not (yet) been implemented in firefox.  Originally Mozilla rejected EME and wasn't going to implement it at all - this has changed, due to demand it seems, but it may still be quite a ways off.

I used pipelight for Netflix for a while when that was the only option.  Then I had google chrome for a while when that was the only other option (and I'm not sure if pipelight is really still maintained).  Thanks to this thread I learned that chromium could not play netflix video with widevine, so I ditched google chrome for chromium for my netflix viewing, which so far has been a bit smoother and more reliable.

As for windows, I HTML5 netflix couldn't work in firefox there either - but they use Silverlight anyways.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2016-03-02 14:42:01

Gusar

Netflix with Firefox requires Adobe Primetime. Currently, Primetime is only available on Windows.

@DarkCerberus: Netflix never used flash. It was (maybe still is, I have no idea) silverlight, now it's HTML5. "Protected" HTML5 video requires a CDM (content decryption module) that's used with EME (encrypted media extensions). The Chrome CDM, which also works in Chromium, is Widevine. The Firefox CDM is Adobe Primetime.

@Trilby: Firefox very much has EME, it's been there for a few versions already (since 42 I think). The CDM is what's missing on Linux, until Adobe releases a Linux version of Primetime.

Last edited by Gusar (2016-03-02 20:26:25)

#10 2016-03-02 16:43:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks Gusar, I'll defer to you on that - but the tracking bug I linked to still shows EME as incomplete.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer