You are not logged in.

#101 2016-03-24 19:43:28

a7arch

Re: [solved] virtualbox depends on virtualbox-host-dkms?

Thanks to all for the discussion... and yes, you are all right! smile

This was never meant as an "official recommended way", it's more like "the hacker's way"... and of course, it is always better to use pacman/yaourt for installing software. No question!

Just wanted to give an alternativ, temporary way, for those who have problems (no matter what kind of in detail) with the new type of release. And it was only meant for people who really know what they are doing!
So beginning with "To everybody" was perhaps a bad idea... wink

Scimmia wrote:

They were already removed. I can only assume you're not running Arch. Sounds like Manjaro.

Yes, you are right, I'm (mainly) using Manjaro... and didn't know that they have allready been removed from the Arch Linux repo.
Sorry if I did some confusion here... that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to help.

But

Scimmia wrote:

Yeah, need sudo to do anything.

there's no need for sarcasm, I just try to be as exact as possible to prevent misunderstandings and failures... and that means that sometimes you have to write obvious things again and again to fulfill that claim.
This is how a good documentation should be done. (even if the objective was wrong) wink

Best wishes...

Last edited by a7arch (2016-03-24 19:56:53)

#102 2016-03-24 19:52:13

ugjka
Website

a7arch wrote:

and of course, it is always better to use pacman/makepkg for installing software.

FTFY

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#103 2016-03-24 19:59:04

a7arch

@ugjka
damn! ;-)
Thanks...

#104 2016-03-24 20:49:34

TheChickenMan

a7arch wrote:

This was never meant as an "official recommended way", it's more like "the hacker's way".
Yes, you are right, I'm (mainly) using Manjaro... and didn't know that they have allready been removed from the Arch Linux repo.

I'm not enough of a "hacker" to use manjaro so I don't know how they do things over there.
On Arch, those modules are gone (for now) and it is considered bad practice to circumvent pacman.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

Board footer