You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-07 16:27:08

GosuSan

[solved] Some questions regarding yaourt

Hey everyone,

I am not totally new to Arch, but I posted here because I think this is a Newbie question:
I use yaourt to install packages from the AUR, and I know it is a wrapper for pacman.

But does it use the same commands? For example "pacman -Syu" becomes "yaourt -Syu"?
Is the AUR-support just added on top of the usual pacman commands?
I ask that, because I use yaourt ONLY for installing AUR packages, for the officially available packages I still use pacman.
But it would nice to have stuff like color support etc for my "normal" pacman commands too, I just don't want to fuck stuff up with the package-manager.
I just wanted to get sure I can replace pacman with yaourt in my habits without a problem.

Next question: correct me if I'm wrong, but you do install AUR packages without sudo, and need sudo to install the normal packages, right?
And if that's correct, do I keep up that pattern when I completely switch to yaourt?

Thanks in advance, and I anything of the abocve is unclear let me know and I try to clarify it big_smile

Last edited by GosuSan (2016-03-08 06:51:19)

#2 2016-03-07 16:39:38

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [solved] Some questions regarding yaourt

yes yaourt directly passes the commands over to pacman, the sole addition to the standard command can be an a as in

yaourt -Syua

in which case you indicate that yaourt should look for updated AUR packages as well. However it still might be a good habit to keep the separation since you will always know that yaourt != pacman and won't ask yourself what broke when a pacman update temporarily breaks yaourt compatibility (which happens, in which case you wait for an update to yaourt resp. package-query and then rebuild it (don't hold back pacman updates in this case, update pacman and wait for package-query to catch up and use it afterwards).

The second question shows a partial misunderstanding: you install the finished package with sudo (as in sudo pacman -U $package) but you don't build (AUR packages usually come in source form and have to be compiled first) the package as root. An important difference. For this reason, you don't run the initial yaourt command with sudo (since you have to be your normal user during the package building process) but yaourt itself will invoke sudo on the operations that require it (the installing part)

Last edited by V1del (2016-03-07 16:43:03)

#3 2016-03-07 16:53:13

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to AUR Issues, Discussion, and PKGBUILD requests.

Do not use sudo with yaourt

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-03-07 17:30:56

eschwartz
Fellow

1) yaourt forwards commands to pacman, adding sudo as and when needed. (Therefore, do NOT use `sudo yaourt ...` yourself, or you will mess things up.)

2) yaourt by default turns on pacman's `--color` option (see OUTPUT OPTIONS in `man yaourtrc`).

3) yaourt intercepts package names that aren't in the repos, and attempts to view/build them from the AUR using package-query and/or makepkg, before finally forwarding the *.pkg.tar.xz to pacman.

Last edited by eschwartz (2016-03-07 17:32:55)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2016-03-07 17:38:59

GosuSan

Thank you all!

Your answers removed any ambiguities I had!
As always, the Arch-community is one of the fastest and most helpful communities I know!

ewaller wrote:

Moving to AUR Issues, Discussion, and PKGBUILD requests.

Also, sorry for this, you are completely right, it fits way better here hmm

#6 2016-03-08 06:07:41

x33a
Forum Fellow

@GosuSan,

Please mark the thread as solved.

#7 2016-03-08 20:16:32

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

While the thread is solved, I'll do my civic duty and point to:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU … ison_table

Notice how yaourt lacks even a single green entry in the table. hmm

Last edited by Alad (2016-03-08 20:17:11)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#8 2016-03-09 08:11:15

GosuSan

Alad wrote:

Notice how yaourt lacks even a single green entry in the table. hmm

Oh ... okay hmm Didn't really know that yaourt is that "bad" it always fit my needs.
However it seems that pacaur is much faster, and it handles split packages well, wich was one of my recent problems with yaourt.

I try that for now, thanks for the hint. I guess it was the "I-started-with-it-so-I-stick-with-it"-syndrome.

Board footer