You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-08 10:08:54

Zhengshuai

[solved]GUI tool for kernel choice

Hello Everyone,

I just want to ask if there is a GUI tool to manage the kernels in archlinux? Just like in Manjaro linux, we could choose which kernel to use, to install or remove the kernel with specific version.

Thanks

Last edited by Zhengshuai (2016-03-09 17:19:11)

#2 2016-03-08 11:06:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [solved]GUI tool for kernel choice

You mean a graphical front end to pacman? There are are a couple of applications in the official repositories, and some in the AUR. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … front-ends

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-03-08 11:50:14

Awebb

This would be a depressingly boring GUI, because there are only two kernels in the Arch repository, linux and linux-lts.

#4 2016-03-08 20:41:46

karol
Archivist

Awebb wrote:

This would be a depressingly boring GUI, because there are only two kernels in the Arch repository, linux and linux-lts.

What about https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr … linux-zen/ and https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … nux-grsec/ ?

#5 2016-03-08 21:37:06

Zhengshuai

WorMzy wrote:

You mean a graphical front end to pacman? There are are a couple of applications in the official repositories, and some in the AUR. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … front-ends

Hello, I'm not meaning to use a pacman front end.

What I noticed is that the kernel updates quickly, and I don't know how many kernels now in my Archlinux .
I want to tool to see how many kernels in my system, and I could choose the kernel simply by checking a kernel, also I could choose to remove the kernels I don't need.

I know I could do it in command line, but I want a more efficiency tool to reach that.

Thanks
Zhengshuai

#6 2016-03-08 21:38:45

Zhengshuai

Awebb wrote:

You mean that each time after I upgraded my system, there is just two kernels in my system, one  non-lts and one lts?
I remember that the pacman won't remove the previous kernel?

#7 2016-03-08 21:40:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Zhengshuai wrote:

What I noticed is that the kernel updates quickly, and I don't know how many kernels now in my Archlinux .
I want to tool to see how many kernels in my system, and I could choose the kernel simply by checking a kernel, also I could choose to remove the kernels I don't need.

I know I could do it in command line, but I want a more efficiency tool to reach that.

More efficient than:

ls /boot

:0

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2016-03-08 21:47:21

eschwartz
Fellow

Zhengshuai wrote:

That's right.

It was updated.

You didn't install a new, additional kernel. You updated the kernel package to a new version.
Which implies the old version of the same package got deleted in the process.

This is actually something which is arguably a problem.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#9 2016-03-09 08:19:59

Awebb

Zhengshuai wrote:
Awebb wrote:

You mean that each time after I upgraded my system, there is just two kernels in my system, one  non-lts and one lts?

No, there is only one kernel. There are only a couple of different kernels in the repository. Your kernel is being updated, not replaced.

#10 2016-03-09 08:50:11

Zhengshuai

Awebb wrote:
Zhengshuai wrote:
Awebb wrote:

No, there is only one kernel. There are only a couple of different kernels in the repository. Your kernel is being updated, not replaced.

Thanks for your reply.

That's meanings I just have a choice to use non-lts or lts kernel. Whatever the kernel updates or not, in my system there is one kernel to use just as the normal package.

So in arch, the kernel always keep the newest version, is that right?

Zhengshuai

#11 2016-03-09 08:53:14

Zhengshuai

Eschwartz wrote:
Zhengshuai wrote:

That's right.

It was updated.

You didn't install a new, additional kernel. You updated the kernel package to a new version.
Which implies the old version of the same package got deleted in the process.

This is actually something which is arguably a problem.

Thanks for your help.
Because before I read the wiki, it seems that once I update the kernel, the pacman won't remove the old one.
Now I am clear. So I just left it, and keep updating.

Zhengshuai

#12 2016-03-09 10:13:58

x33a
Forum Fellow

@Zhengshuai,

Now that the confusion has been cleared, please mark the thread as solved.

Board footer