You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-10 13:54:17

pr0xmeh

[Feedback] Single-Home for Multi-Boot System

Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback, really trying to find any caveats, of the system I'm using to maintain a single-home for my system, before I implement it into an application I'm developing for maintenance.

Essentially, I have several operating systems with their own partitions: 42GB because they have their own (roots, applications, .configs, vars, etc.), and a separate partition is auto-mounted, which the user-directory in each operating system sym-links individual folders to.

sdax (Logical)
- sday (Boot)
- sdan (OS)
- sdaz ("my_home")

I end up with a ~/ that looks something like this:

dEuAZu.png

The only two immediate problems which occurred to me while planning my partition were hard-drive issues with jumping around due to the partition scheme (not well versed on the hardware side, so I would really appreciate input on this); and accidentally deleting your whole home, but that should be about as hard as without having it in a separate location.

To address some issues I can see being brought up:

+ Application configurations are maintained by the application, via Git, for each operating system, so each may have a unique use. (development, media, movie production, games, etc.) That's why each OS has it's own ~/ instead of mounting /home to the separate-partition: I believe it's more simple if you have to format to wipe the whole OS and reinstall the configs, instead of having to deal with 10 different users in your /home.

+ I don't have a swap-partition because I don't use one, it won't effect anything on the file-system, and if a user chooses to have one, it effects their OS-installation which is out of my hands.

Thanks for the read, I look forward to your feedback, and send my regards.

Board footer