You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-12 06:59:42

Tre0n

Some games crash my PC to single-colour screen and looping audio

This has been irking me for a while, and I haven't found any solutions the times I've gone looking.

I have an EVGA Nvidia GTX 670 card, using the proprietary drivers (latest). Switching drivers doesn't seem to help -- or at least 340xx also crashes.

A select few games crash my system. On the crashed PC:
- My main screen (the screen displaying the game) will have a single colour on it, which I don't think is consistent, but is usually some sort of unsaturated green or blue. I don't think it's ever been red.
- My second screen will be black.
- (EDIT: Usually) Audio from the last few seconds will repeat over and over.
- Ctrl+Alt+F1 (etc) doesn't do anthing -- the PC doesn't respond to any input at all.
- (EDIT: Usually) I can't ssh in and it doesn't respond to pings (becomes unreachable on the network).
- (EDIT: Usually) Nothing relating to the crash shows up in the journal or Xorg logs.

Most games are perfectly fine, and the ones that do crash normally take a while to do it (Shadow Warrior usually crashes within 30 minutes, Euro Truck Simulator and Insurgency usually within 2 hours).
I've been playing Dark Souls on Wine as of today, and that crashes within seconds in certain areas (notably the tutorial area).

If anyone can offer any insight as to what can cause a crash this severe, or any advice in general, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Tre0n (2016-03-13 02:50:31)

#2 2016-03-13 02:48:16

Tre0n

Re: Some games crash my PC to single-colour screen and looping audio

Update:

Turns out my system only totally freezes most of the time -- I was able to ssh in after a crash yesterday. dmesg reports that the graphics card has "fallen off the bus", and the xorg-server was using 100% CPU.
This is apparently an issue for a lot of people (on the nvidia forums), and hasn't been fixed for at least a few years. Most people there are tossing up whether or not this indicates a hardware fault with the graphics card.
I've seen this issue reported coinciding with the card overheating, but I tested with `watch --interval 1 nvidia-smi -q --display=TEMPERATURE` on the other screen and it was only reporting 52 degrees C when it crashed.

A few sites suggested re-seating the graphics card. I have two PCI-E 3.0 16x ports, so I blew the dust out, checked the graphics card's PCI-E connector and put it in the other PCI-E slot. This didn't help.

I noticed a lot of people on the nvidia forums with this issue casually talked about having more than one monitor (like I did -- e.g. "the second monitor displays this"). On a hunch, I tried Dark Souls again after booting with my second monitor unplugged. It might be a massive coincidence, but this actually seems to delay the crash quite dramatically. It was long enough I was almost convinced I had solved the issue; I managed to get out of the tutorial area, beat the Taurus Demon, and make it to the bonfire with the blacksmith before it crashed again when I tried to level up.

So to anyone else experiencing this issue, I'd say try unplugging all but one of your monitors to see if it mitigates the issue.
If you don't have more than one monitor, it could be that it's just related to how many pixels the graphics card is pumping out, so maybe try a lower resolution. I haven't tested that, though, so no guarantees.
My card came with a 3-year warranty, and I bought it 3 years and 2 months ago. If anyone is experiencing this issue within their card's warranty period, I'd strongly consider going for a replacement.

I should also add that I tested this on a Windows partition yesterday, and that doesn't crash. It's possible it's an OpenGL thing, an Nvidia Linux driver thing, a Linux thing, or a hardware thing, but it doesn't appear to be the game's fault.

I'm going to try with Nouveau next, if the game will even run with that.

#3 2016-03-13 13:39:13

onslow77

Re: Some games crash my PC to single-colour screen and looping audio

Hello!

Welcome to Arch Linux Tre0n!

I suggest you do the following:
- Pick one game at the time to troubleshoot
- Make sure you follow the installation instructions for the game
- Read wiki pages about known problems for the game
- For steam games Arch wiki has this wiki page
- Most games using "Wine" has an installation and troubleshooting page for example dark souls
- Look at the log output to get a better understanding why the game fails to load/crash
- Use the output of the log in Google searches to see if anyone else has encounter the problem (most likley someone has and have a solution)

If you still cant get the game to run. I suggest you use the How to post guide when you seek help from the community on this forum.

Examples from your post that needs to be clarified:
- "A select few games crash my system" is to vague because I do not know what games you are reffering to.
- Error outputs from a log file are missing so I can not help you to determine why the game fails to load or crash.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-03-13 19:05:14)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

Board footer