You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-12 21:14:32

kumala

black screen when not booting manually from UEFI

I have just installed the base system of arch from the USB iso following the guide closely. It works ok.

Now I have a nvme drive and grub does not work.
So I have tried to boot the kernel manually first to get to the system. I entered the UEFI shell and manually entered

vmlinuz-linux intel_pstate=disable root=PARTUUID=xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx initrd=/initramfs-linux.img 

and it boots alright in a low screen resolution, I get to the console, the login prompt appears and it switches to a higher screen resolution and everything works. (I need the intel_pstate thing to boot the X1 carbon)

Then I decided to keep that in the UEFI boot manager and did

efibootmgr -d /dev/nvme0n1p1 -p 1 -c -L "Arch Linux" -l vmlinuz-linux -u "intel_pstate=disable root=/dev/nvme0n1p2 rw initrd=/initramfs-linux.img" 

That's when things become strange: if I boot and select the EFI boot manager manually and then from the list I choose Arch Linux then it boots ok, gets to the login prompt in low resolution, switches to high resolution and it just works.
But when I leave the system to boot by itself it picks up Arch Linux automatically, I see the boot sequence being executed like above and then the login prompt appears in the low resolution, that's when it switches to higher resolution and the screen stays black.

I don't understand how booting manually can have a different outcome!

I tried blindly login in and execute a reboot but to no avail, it looks like it is not responsive.

Any idea what I did wrong? Or how I could investigate?

Thanks!

#2 2016-03-13 00:27:41

TheSaint

Re: black screen when not booting manually from UEFI

I think that there should be a delay for the GPU to settle.
What's your graphic card, nvidia ?
Have you tried KMS ?
is there any Xorg.0.log.old ?

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

Board footer