You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-27 20:52:27

riwa

Tips on installing programs?

I know how to compile and run programs but I don't know where to put them. I've tried putting the new dir where the path-variable searchs but it just finds the folder not the contents. So I ended up writing a small launch-program for every program I've compiled and I've got a real mess on my ~ dir. Any tips and suggestions for this? I guess aliases would be more fit that my launch-program but that doesn't solve the "mess". I'd like all my programs in the same spots, not scattered all over the drive. How do you guys do?

/Richard

If you must have must. Have must.
- DKE supporters about this wonderful swedish soda.

#2 2006-04-27 21:58:20

Galdona

Re: Tips on installing programs?

you could try learning how to make PKGBUIlLDs, its actually not difficult. then you can just use pacman to take care of installing/uninstalling.

if you really want to do it your way you could just put your program directory anywhere and then put a symlink to the executable in a directory in your path.

#3 2006-04-27 22:05:13

colnago

... or add your new app directory to your PATH.

Why not create a dir in your home directory for your custom apps.  `mkidr ~/bin` and then put everything in there.  Then add it to your PATH:  `export PATH=$PATH:~/bin`.

#4 2006-04-27 22:37:59

riwa

I'll check that symlink up later. I've read about PKGBUILD here and where but didn't really put much thought into it. I guess I'll look into it. But still I'd like to know what it's actually doing. About creating a dir and adding it to PATH I've tried it and it only gives me the dir name. For example, I have this Dynamic IP that changes every time I reboot so i use a program calles no-ip to get a static IP. I created /.Programs to keep my personal programs and share for everyone to use and put the dir no-ip there. However, if I then try to launch the program only the dir gets executed which, naturally, doesn't work. So I found myself forced to use the non-efficient way of writing a file that launches another file (only to save some typing). But according to your explanation PKGBUILD is probably the way to go.

If you must have must. Have must.
- DKE supporters about this wonderful swedish soda.

#5 2006-04-27 22:59:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Here's my 2c - if you're installing apps on Arch, makepkg/pacman is THE only way to go. You want to know what it's doing? It's all there in the PKGBUILD. Here's a basic example:

./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install

You don't have to do anything to your PATH, because it all gets installed to /usr, and that's already in your PATH. And here's a bonus - you can put your PKGBUILDs in the AUR for others to share.

#6 2006-04-29 22:47:24

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Board footer