You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-16 10:43:47

barbas

Suspend stopped working

Hi there,

on my laptop I used to successfuly suspend the system through 'systemctl suspend'.

Since a few days this doens't work anymore, the screen goes blank, but the power button is still on, fans are rotating, etc. After that, there's no way to wake the system up again, I have to force a power off.

Kernel version is 4.4.5, systemd 229-3. I don't seem to be able to debug this. Can somebody help?

Thanks.

#2 2016-03-17 12:39:34

Stracker

Re: Suspend stopped working

Same problem here, suspend blanks screen, power button still on, nothing out of the ordinary in journalctl. Something to note is that trying to switch to a virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1-6 shows the same symptoms : unleavable blank screen...

#3 2016-04-05 20:17:19

cloudsv

Same problem, i have tried unload ehci_hcd, before suspend, this is don't help :-(
Black screen, unblinking cursor...
In log

kernel: PM: Syncing filesystems ... 
-- Reboot --

#4 2016-04-06 16:25:06

cloudsv

I have tried another way, send my pc to Suspend-to-RAM:

sudo sh -c "echo mem > /sys/power/state"

It work's well, i test it 20+ times, and my pc don't hangs when enter to suspend state.
And i redeclare systemd-suspend.service
/etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service

[Unit]
Description="Custom suspend service"
DefaultDependencies=no
Requires=sleep.target
After=sleep.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "echo mem > /sys/power/state"

don't forget systemctl daemon-reload

Now when you try suspend your pc from systemd, will be performed ExecStart command.
I hope, this help, sorry for bad english.

UPD 08.04.2016
Today. my pc hung again :-( i don't have more ideas.

Last edited by cloudsv (2016-04-08 13:58:39)

#5 2016-04-18 17:16:10

listr

I've been experiencing almost the same problem since this morning. But instead of my screen going blank and the machine entering a non-recoverable state, my computer turns off immediately effectively performing a reboot.

I tried different methods of performing a suspend, but everything including systemctl suspend, pm-suspend and the workaround presented above had the same result. I checked the systemd journal but I couldn't find any hint to what could be the problem.

Does anybody have an idea?

$ fortune | ponysay

#6 2016-04-18 20:26:44

cloudsv

listr wrote:

I've been experiencing almost the same problem since this morning. But instead of my screen going blank and the machine entering a non-recoverable state, my computer turns off immediately effectively performing a reboot.

I tried different methods of performing a suspend, but everything including systemctl suspend, pm-suspend and the workaround presented above had the same result. I checked the systemd journal but I couldn't find any hint to what could be the problem.

I changed the memory frequency  in bios from 1600mhz to auto(1333), and now all ok.

#7 2016-04-21 20:00:22

iipe

cloudsv wrote:
listr wrote:

I changed the memory frequency  in bios from 1600mhz to auto(1333), and now all ok.

Thanks for the tip.

My desktop computer suffered from the same issue since the upgrade to kernel 4.5.1. I changed the memory frequency from 2133 MHz to auto (1333 MHz) and the suspend started working again. What is strange is that I changed the frequency back to 2133 MHz and suspend still works.

Board footer