You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-21 01:11:33

honeyplease

Best way to instal Bitiwg on Arch?

Soo... I'm back to Arch after a hiatus of almost 5 years. Installed it today, man is this thing gorgeous.

I think I died a little when I was about to download the Bitwig demo to reinstall it in my new and shiny Arch machine. Its a .deb file. Crap. So I see two solutions:

1) Install dpkg and install it using that, which seems a bit silly because of:
2) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bitwig-studio-demo/

So, it seems to me that tha amazing fellas here working on this native installer have already gone through all the hoops and problems (many of them at least) of installing that .deb. But since I'm new around here (again) I'm wondering how others running Bitwig have done it, and if there are any suggestions/general issues I should be aware of while installing (jack vs jack2 etc... incidentally the AUR package lists both jack and kacj2 as dependencies [?!]).

Thanks fellas.

#2 2016-03-21 01:36:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Best way to instal Bitiwg on Arch?

I don't know anything about Bitwig (except that you seem to have a typo in your title), but whatever you do, definitely don't use dpkg to install a .deb package.  As there is an AUR package, use that.  If you have problems with the AUR package, post here or in the package's comments.  I'm not really sure what else can be said.  The package requires jack, not jack2, where do you see that it lists both as dependecies?

EDIT: jack2 is in parentheses in on the web interface aur page along with several other packages after jack.  This is because each of those provides jack.  One of those is required to provide jack, but you can't have both jack and jack2 installed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-03-21 02:29:10

ooo

bitwig-studio-demo from AUR works perfectly

#4 2016-03-21 03:02:12

honeyplease

Trilby wrote:

where do you see that it lists both as dependecies?

jack (jack-dbus, jack-git, jack2-dbus-git, jack2-git, jack2-no-dbus-git, jack2, jack2-dbus)

most likely my lack of understanding of jack, why is there jack-dbus, jack2-dbus?

#5 2016-03-21 03:12:20

Ziusudra

The ones in the parenthesis are alternate packages to jack; bitwig only requires any single one of them, not all of them.

#6 2016-03-21 05:49:25

honeyplease

> bitwig-studio-demo from AUR works perfectly
> The ones in the parenthesis are alternate packages to jack; bitwig only requires any single one of them, not all of them.
> This is because each of those provides jack.  One of those is required to provide jack, but you can't have both jack and jack2 installed.

Thanks.

Board footer